Rattle From Tailpipe When Takin Off

wallace78

Guest DazH

I know that no one has suggested this already but, My E39 had this problem and it turned out to be something quite nasty...

My catalytic converter had shattered inside. The Cat is made up of a honey-comb material and under acceleration it used to 'rattle' like a babies rattle with the exhaust gases pushing the broken bits around creating the allusion of noise coming from the rearrest part of the exhaust system. Defo worth checking it out

Hope this helps,

Daz

just checked i shook my tale pipe and the hole thing moves rite up into the engine bay do u think the bolts r loose and will it be a big fix the rattle was it shaking against the front heatsheild cheers

If it is moving all the way up into the Engine Bay Philip than the Exhaust Manifold has somehow broken where it connects to the cylinder head. I thought you said it rattles from the rear?

Daz

If it is moving all the way up into the Engine Bay Philip than the Exhaust Manifold has somehow broken where it connects to the cylinder head. I thought you said it rattles from the rear?

Daz

i thought it was till i went out n shook it lol then relized the whole exaust moved ,im goina hav 2 jack her up n c wat the prob is hopefully its not 2 bad ,funny enough when u first start her u can smell fumes in the cabin!!!!

Sounds like the exhaust manifold has broken off away from the cylinder head. Open the bonnet and look down the left hand side of the engine. You should see a very lumpy rusted metal thing bolted to the side of it with 4/6 pipes all welded together. (See picture)

IF that is clearly hanging loose or broken away from the engine wall, the bolts have snapped into the cylinder head. I'm only really familiar with BMW's older type engines but Dabsy is the best person to talk to about engines from your era I would imagine.

---------

exahsutman.jpg

(I know its from a smelly vauxhall but you can see the manifold quite clearly here. Its attached to the engine but than its also attached to the exhaust system shown by the second red ring. Either one of these breaking away would cause the exhaust to push up into the engine bay. I have no idea how else you would be able to push it up there without these two places breaking first)

Your engine being a later engine than mine, it might be covered by loads of plastic rubbish to make it look better <_< so if that is the case, jack it up and follow the exhaust system up into the engine bay from underneath.

Good luck buddy,

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

TBH it could simply need slackening at the downpipe and twisting clear of the shield ! Providing that you'e eliminated the manifold issue...

Having said that, if you can smell exhaust fumes then it could already be slack and will need a twist and re-tighten.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links