Fuel rail pressure problems.

Sorry for the long read in advance, 

So to start with my 2011 f07 530D GT low pressure/electric fuel pump stripped its self out and long story short the particles from the pump made there way into the high pressure fuel pump and beyond, new EFP, new HPFP new Pressure Regulator, new pressure sensor and new injectors have now all been fitted as the originals were leaking, I’m now struggling to get any rail pressure, consistently that is. I got it to a point it would start on the key but I would get a drivetrain fault 248700 rail pressure too high, so this is where the new regulator was fitted in hopes it would fix it. Since fitting this I’m unable to get any rail pressure above 30-40bar. I’ve bled it for hours and had the battery continuously connected to another running motor. I feel like I’ve got a dodgy sensor/ valve. But I’m at my wits end with it and I can’t just keep unloading the parts cannon onto it. Sorry for the long read/rant. Additionally all injectors have been coded in and as adaptations have been reset. Thankyou in advance if anyone can help. 

Morning Alex

Welcome to the Forum

I would start with a careful back track of all work carried out a PITA I know but the only way to be certain each part is OK. Run fuel off after the filter through a Coffee filter paper that will show any metallic swarf if there is any (fingers crossed) Check the rail pressure sensor "O" ring I have seen one with a split that was causing similar issues to those you are getting

I believe there is a Bleed sequence in ISTA (never had to use it myself) has that been followed?

Still a diesel virgin myself so feeling my way here

Dave

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Greydog said:

Morning Alex

Welcome to the Forum

I would start with a careful back track of all work carried out a PITA I know but the only way to be certain each part is OK. Run fuel off after the filter through a Coffee filter paper that will show any metallic swarf if there is any (fingers crossed) Check the rail pressure sensor "O" ring I have seen one with a split that was causing similar issues to those you are getting

I believe there is a Bleed sequence in ISTA (never had to use it myself) has that been followed?

Still a diesel virgin myself so feeling my way here

Dave

Morning Dave, I can confirm I’ve been over all the work completed I’ve fitted a new fuel filter and done a fuel sample, this been said it’s still a possibility of the fuel filter l, for what it’s worth I will change the filter out again today checking all lines etc.  I just feel that one of the many *brand new* components is faulty but I. Feel that I’m now becoming paranoid ahah. There’s no leaks on the whole fuel system. *unless it’s internal on the tank*. Sorry rant over ahah. 

Rants are part of the analysis process ( normally with me it ends with "how did I miss that) so Rant on matey 😅 You are  probably on the money with one of the New parts having a fault. 

One of our sons friend had a problem that was down to the "O" ring seal on the fuel rail pressure sensor. The sensor was new and was fitted by a Garage that had carried out the work similar to yours, car started fine was driven home and sat on his drive for a coupe of days then wouldn't start ?? The Garage due to pressure of work couldn't help for a few days that's when our son volunteered me. We started at the tank and filter and we worked our way forward it was when checking the fuel rail pressure sensor we found a small crack/split in the "O" ring it was enough to not let rail pressure reach and hold sufficient pressure The Garage supplied him a new sensor (FOC) we fitted it and after around a dozen or so cranks it fired up and touch wood is still running OK. His Garage had never seen it before nor had I and personally wouldn't have suspected such a tiny split could be the cause.

Hope you find it soon

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greydog said:

Rants are part of the analysis process ( normally with me it ends with "how did I miss that) so Rant on matey 😅 You are  probably on the money with one of the New parts having a fault. 

One of our sons friend had a problem that was down to the "O" ring seal on the fuel rail pressure sensor. The sensor was new and was fitted by a Garage that had carried out the work similar to yours, car started fine was driven home and sat on his drive for a coupe of days then wouldn't start ?? The Garage due to pressure of work couldn't help for a few days that's when our son volunteered me. We started at the tank and filter and we worked our way forward it was when checking the fuel rail pressure sensor we found a small crack/split in the "O" ring it was enough to not let rail pressure reach and hold sufficient pressure The Garage supplied him a new sensor (FOC) we fitted it and after around a dozen or so cranks it fired up and touch wood is still running OK. His Garage had never seen it before nor had I and personally wouldn't have suspected such a tiny split could be the cause.

Hope you find it soon

Dave

This is something that I have also checked. I’m really good at getting the rail on and off now as a positive ahah 

Sorry Dave, ive also done two of them ahah, TODAYS update new fuel filter fitted lines checked and no signs of anything, out of interest i unplugged the presure regulated hoping to see it either shut or open and see a diferance in the rail presure? if it works that way, but no change at all, so this makes me thing maybe its mechanicaly damadged, but i have two. am i really that unlucky that both are broken? 3rd one turning up tomorrow as a favor so i shall see if that makes any differance. 

Alex

Success, a very long story short. 

I was unlucky enough to have 3!!! yes 3 bad brand new pressure regulators sent me. I now have all the correct pressures and the car starts on the button every time. No drivetrain fault nothing. This has been a very long ordeal. 

Please if anyone has any form of fueling problem get in contact with me. I have now almost developed a way to fault find every component of the fueling system. 

Thanks for been part of my rant.

Alex 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links