Heavy steering

Tezza2

Hello everyone, new on here. Has anyone suffered from heavy steering ? It’s heavy in all driving modes, its had a new steering rack that didn’t make any difference. Nobody can give me an answer, please help…

Morning Terry

Welcome to the Forum

Heavy steering compared to what ? As an example my wife drives a Subaru Outback she wont drive my X5's because she thinks the steering feels to heavy.

You say you have had a new steering rack fitted, I believe your car should have Electric assisted power steering so is the rack correct for your car? Who fitted it and was it registered to your cars chassis (I believe yours may need that) 

Tyres can also have an effect on steering are yours correct and correctly inflated?

Sorry if this raises more questions than answers

Dave

Morning dave, steering was fitted by BMW under warranty, tyres are all factory sizes and in good condition. My other daughter has an f32, when in comfort mode the steering is light. When she switches to sport it’s heavy. There is no difference in resistance when switching modes on the f34 ! 

I would make notes and time frame and write to the Dealer with a copy to BMW Customer service, if the Dealer carried out work under Warranty they have a responsibility to make sure that any repairs and replaced equipment work correctly.

How can a steering rack not working correctly be a "Characteristic" of the car ?? Crazy and a stupid excuse, the steering is an essential safety item. 

Dave

Hi Dave. I don’t think the steering rack is the problem. It’s exactly the same as the old one, no difference, I think the problem is electrical, there must be something that switches from heavy to light steering, I thought it might be the driver mode switch but that shows on the dash readout when you switch it !

That is why I would be complaining loudly to the dealer and BMW they changed a rack under warranty but didn't clear the issue it seems

If your car has the mode selection button why is it not functioning as it should?

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links