Which to buy, 330Ci or 335i?

HopefulOwner

Hi all, 

Wondering if anyone can help me decide on my first BMW purchase? 

I’m looking primarily at two models, happy to look at a few other models around these but would like to stick with minimum 3L for the added power. Model no. of the two I’m most keen on below:

‘03 330Ci E46 Auto MY04 

(soft top convertible)

OR 

‘08 335i E93 Auto MY08 

(hard too convertible) 

The latter is about $2k cheaper. Both around 150k kms and in immaculate condition. The thing is, the older 3 series in my opinion are much more beautifully styled. They’re timeless and gorgeous. I like both models in the convertible, love a summer country drive. However, the 335’s extra power and hard top is pretty attractive to me over the (I assume) less efficient 3 litre 330Ci without a turbo and with a soft top which isn’t as good in winter. 

Can somebody help me decide? Both have been taken care of very well it seems. Are there other models I should be looking at too? Also does anyone know which years the LCI came in for these variants? 

Thanks in advance for any info you can spare! 

Hi Julian

Welcome (almost) to the Forum

Reading your post while your attracted to the E46 330Ci I think you are leaning towards the 335i

The convenience of the Hard top convertible and the extra power, you would always be asking the what if question?

The E46 model was in production from 1998 until 2018 (in certain Markets) The E93 2005 until 2010 the E93 LCI 2008 until 2013 as far as I am aware there was never an LCI version of the E46

What ever your choice ENJOT

Dave

Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Yes I’m definitely leaning towards the E93. Though the later model years (and post LCI) are definitely creeping above my price range. Is the reliability that much better to be worth it?

When I ask some sellers if they’d had problems, (and listed leaky gasket cover, turbo waste gates, fuel pump, water pump, turbo failure) they’ve said they’ve had no problems at all and it has been serviced regularly. Obviously I’ll check the service history thoroughly, but I wonder if nothing has gone wrong, does that mean it is simply yet to?

Some sellers have had problems but have had the parts replaced, possibly that’s better as the parts are newer…I wonder. Perhaps I should be posting in an E93 buyers thread.

Morning Julian

The straight six engine is a really tough unit and the Ci3.0 and 335i are in many ways the same unit, service history  is important but both cars will be of an age when Extended service intervals became common (not just by BMW) I have never been a fan of these extended services I still change oil and filters annually (around 7k in my case) If the engine is smooth and quiet and obviously the gearbox and drive train should be the same. Suspension should good with no creaks or groans rattles or knocks. Tyres should be good with even wear

The Ci will give around 220/230 hp the 335 around 300/315 hp 

Remember that any Forum you will generally see the warts and all what ever the decision for what ever you buy I hope you Enjoy it

Dave

Indeed, I have taken three out for a test drive since the original post, if I wasn’t already in love with the 335, I certainly am now. Absolutely gorgeous to drive. 

I now have the dilemma of choosing between the various offerings. 

I have one seller of an ‘07 335i who has replaced:

Expansion tank, Radiator, Coolant hoses, Battery, fixed a few oil leaks, sump, brake rotors, brake pads

And another seller with an ‘08 which is in better condition (visually speaking, it’s way cleaner) but who doesn’t seem to have replaced anything. The ‘08 has done about 70k less kilometres as well. Should I be looking at the ‘07 one with all the parts replaced assuming the ‘08 is going to need that stuff done to it later anyway?

Yes, of course, and fair point. I should have posed the question differently. I’m not asking anyone to make a decision for me so much as reassure me that my line of thinking is in line with their own (having more experience with the cars). 

I should add, any car I’m going to seriously consider buying I would be taking to a mechanic for a thorough check up prior to buying it. 

Cheers for your help. I’ll keep looking 

Edited by HopefulOwner
Clarification

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links