Ongoing issues please help

nomates

Hi Everyone, I have a 2006 2.0d 5 series auto touring ....I love the thing BUT I haven't bought wisely .....I didn't  realise but due to varying factors that I won't go into I didn't notice how much the car smoked when I accelerated (black) over fully smoke .....cut a long story short turbo seems to boost ok no leaks , engine got serviced so new filters and CCV valve was fitted and a crack in the flexi pipe of the cat was fixed and I cleaned a spare intake manifold and fitted that so map sensor was also changed  .......whilst working on the exhaust it was noticed that the DPF further down the pipe had the middle smashed out of it ...so I bought one from euro car parts (a pattern part one)....the results were amazing the garage were even shocked that the car now passed the emission test by 3 times less the limit, smoking stopped immediately ......then about a month later (I don't do many miles at all) the exhaust blew itself a part ......the dpf was blocked solid ....I have removed it and the car dives fine again .....but smokes as before ,I then took the car to a re map place, I don't know if it had been remapped but I payed them to put a standard map on it .....and they said it was because of the pattern part and without a dpf BMW's smoke badly ....Anyway I have driven the car on a few very local trips without the dpf in it and it smokes bad ......but I have an original re-con one coming from Germany ,.....I'm really worried that in a month I will block the new one up too, would the car over fuel with effectively only 1/3 of an exhaust on it ? or can you think of anything else that might cause the over fuelling ? ...it must be over fuelling massively because the fuel economy is dire ....for instance when I drive 1 mile ....the computer drops my range by about 10-14 miles !! any help would be amazing .....no lights on dash drives fine just lots of black smoke ....thanks Steve

Morning Steve

What a SAGA I take it that the rest of the engine is in good condition, Compression good? Timing checked and correct? Fuel pressure checked and correct? Injectors correct and matching? 

Is the rest of the emissions system intact? has the EGR valve been checked and cleaned has the Inlet manifold been cleaned? Are the Glow plugs working correctly? (without the glow-plugs working then a regen of the DPF wont be possible) so it will clog. Has the DPF memory been reset I have read that there can be issues if the memory thinks the new DPF is 80 or 90% full

Check all the hoses and Vacuum lines make sure they are all good if any are clogged or split they wont help.

As far as economy goes the 520 is a big car so around town low 20's high 30's early 40's on a run would be my guess

Dave

Hi thanks for the reply ....inlet manifold was like new ...I'm guessing compression and timing are ok as it runs lovely, injectors I have no idea but I think they only way is to remove test and replace them, I removed the EGR valve and cleaned it ...to be fair it wasn't dirty ECU has now been reset and I would presume glow plugs would throw a fault code ....but I'm not worried about re gen's right this min as the DPF is brand new (although I missed delivery so its coming today I hope)

I have been told the car monitors the Ash content of the DPF, if the DPF is replaced the Memory needs resetting or the car will not know the DPF is new and assume it is full or almost full 

If the car is over fuelling then first fuel pressure needs checking (has the fuel filter been changed?) If the fuel pressure is correct then the injectors are the next inline as a source of over fuelling

As your ECU has been reset it will be interesting to see how it responds to the new DPF 

Let us know if it all settles down after fitting 

Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links