My M235i has died, no power, can't jump. Very strange

Hello, last week my daughters borrowed my 2016 m235i convertible and they called me saying it won't start. When I got there i saw a couple errors about the drivetrain and another error about the fuel pump. The car has 40,000 miles and I've never had a problem with it. The display would come on and lights would work but it wouldn't start. I had it towed home. 

I tried to charge the battery with a battery charger but I got an error saying there was an error with the battery (I can't remember exactly the error but I never saw it before and it would happen within 10 minutes. The charger was a normal battery charger that I connected under the hood). 

I downloaded ProTools and connected it and found some errors but then I did a system restart (i can't remember exactly what it was called) and after that the car is totally dead. I was pretty sure the battery was low and maybe that was the issue. When i put a multimeter on the battery i only get around  4.5 volts.

I then bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 trickle charger and that was going but it started to rain yesterday and my wife on her own unplugged it in stage 2. It ran for about 4 hours and the volts on the battery stayed exactly the same at 4.5 volts. 

I bought a new battery but I can't get into the trunk. Even if i jump the car for 20 minutes nothing happens. No power, lights, console, nothing!:confused2 I wanted to check with you guys before I took it in. I never used ProTools before. 

I had been in the car a lot with it turned off since the problem started so I'm sure the battery was very low plus its as old as the car as well so I'm sure it needs to be replaced. Also can i put it into neutral in the compartment under the gear shifter or do i need to go under the car? Thanks so much for the help. 

Morning Rick

Welcome to the Forum

First your battery is at 4.5v the battery is dead and in need of change. With a jump battery attached under the Bonnet (Hood) at the charge points can you lock/unlock using the key fob

Second I don't know Protools as a diagnostic system (I use BMW Inpa/Ista) I fear that by trying to reset the system without having saved any OEM settings you may have put your self in a position where you will need support from BMW to reset everything. It wont be cheap though and I have read of Dealers who will refuse to help at all if "Non Approved Software" has been used.

Good Luck

Dave 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links