2018 G30 Motor Oil

NCBimmer

What brand of motor oil do you use in your G30? I have a 2018 530i xDrive. It seems that I can't find a US oil that supposedly meets the BMW specs. The dealership indicates I can use Castrol full synthetic. The weight is not the issue, but the other specs. I had thought to use Pennzoil 0w-20 Ultra Platinum. I use it in the other two cars and it performs well.

Thanks!

Morning Richard

I would talk to Pennzoil they should be able to advise on the oil specs. Personally I use either Mobil or Castrol fully synthetic oils and have done since the mid 80's, I also ignore the extended service intervals and change oil at 5k intervals. 

You should find information on Oil spec in your hand book normally as long as it meets LL04 BMW spec it should be OK the newer specs also protect (or so I am told) DPF/PPF life on the new cars

Dave

9 hours ago, Greydog said:

Morning Richard

I would talk to Pennzoil they should be able to advise on the oil specs. Personally I use either Mobil or Castrol fully synthetic oils and have done since the mid 80's, I also ignore the extended service intervals and change oil at 5k intervals. 

You should find information on Oil spec in your hand book normally as long as it meets LL04 BMW spec it should be OK the newer specs also protect (or so I am told) DPF/PPF life on the new cars

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I checked the Pennzoil website but didn't see anything specific for BMW specs. I'm going to call them and see what they say. I'll probably use either BMW or Castrol 0w-20 L-17FE+. I found the Castrol at Walmart, but it seems that it has to be ordered. They do have inventory errors on some products, so it might also be on the shelf. I expect since Castrol signed a 5-year contract with BMW, this is probably the same oil that's labeled BMW.

Morning Richard

If it meets LLO4 specs you will be fine I am sure after all Penzoil are a well known name in competition and as a commercial supplier of lubricants (just not in the UK)

In the 90's when car manufacturers started quoting extended service intervals is when the obsession with oil began. By telling those innocent car buyers who believe the hype that oil changes at 30k intervals are fine. After all they really don't care once the car is out of warranty they wash their hands. Remember BMW also keep telling owners Gearboxes are sealed for life?? Then sell service kits and Fluid when the ZF say fluid changes every 60 to 80k depending on use. What BMW are saying is "life" is the end of their warranty responsibility and they are not alone VW/Audi Mercedes 

As said I change oil every 5k (around a year for me these days) gearbox service as ZF schedule 

Dave

Hi Dave!

Penzoil finally contacted me and said that their Pennzoil Euro (meets LL14FE+ specs I'm guessing) 5w-30 is what they specify for a BMW 530i with the B46 engine. I certainly will be changing the oil and filter every 5k. My Dodge requires every 5k or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links