Tuning Boxes

AKD0622

Hi,

I have been offered a M14Oi BlueSpark tuning box from a mate for free. Its for the B58 which I have. Is there a risk with just taking it and plugging it into mine? I hear that there shouldnt be an issue but heard also that they are car specific, but that could be due to the company protecting their margins. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Hi Andy

Welcome to the Forum

The B58 engine was built in 3 different states of tune depending on Market and Model. As your Pal is removing it from an M140i and you plan to use it on an M140i I can't see any major issue. The manufacturers will always write in a few clauses to shield themselves from blame should something go wrong. 

Remember often tuning boxes are brought by people as a cheap way of trying to restore performance on a worn engine so they need to protect themselves.

In your case as it is being transferred to the same model plus, I assume your engine is in good nick. Just remember most folks who fit a tuning box or ECU upgrade use a lot more fuel while they "Errr" get used to it 🤣 

I rebuilt the engine in my X5 E53 4.6is with some Dinan parts from the USA now has 415hp at the wheels 😁 Surprises a lot of people in Hot Hatches and Sports cars. My Brother Inlaw has run ECU tuned 5 series Touring in 530d 535d and now 540d xdrive the 540 has over 400hp and so much mid-range torque it can embarrass some serious super cars

Enjoy

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links