Dropping power and coolant smell

NicolaH

I know nothing about cars so apologies if I don’t explain this very well. 

I drive a 1 series Coupe 118D SE Auto 2011.

Recently it’s felt “heavy” whilst driving. It loses power or rather has a huge delay when accelerating. It usually only happens once or twice within the first 5/10mins of a journey and other than that drives normally aside from the heavy feel.

This started a while back and then it refused to start at all. It would try but would “stall”. We thought it could be the MAF but changing it didn’t make a difference and the old one was clean when it came off. I actually ended up putting the old one back on.  EGR also looks clean and is opening and closing easily.

We did a full service, changed oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. After this it felt lighter and I had no issues for about 2-3months. Recently it’s started to feel heavy again and it’s dropped power/failed to accelerate again. 

No lights on dash, except for service which came back on after it was turned off following the service. 

It also has a smell occasionally like burning celery, which I’ve since found out is coolant. I had to top up the coolant about 4 months after first putting coolant in as the light came on. I can’t see a leak anywhere though and I don’t know if this is connected to the power issue. 

Has anybody else had this or know what it could be ? 

Thanks. 

Morning Nicola

Welcome to the Forum

You need first to investigate where the leak is, if it around the turbo or from the turbo water will evaporate but you will get the smell. It could be the Turbo, Turbo Actuator, Boost pressure regulator all the Oil Feed, Water feed and Vacuum pipes need checking and or changing. A Diagnostic session may help but an experienced mechanic may be the answer.

Dave