Please help

I purchased my first e60 a 525msport ive had it for 5 months started getting problems with power now one minute it's fine then out of nowhere it's like someone has ripped the turbo out 

I've done the exhaust manifold which my oem one was cracked in 4 places but now I'm getting a code 3f57 (1272) boost pressure plate please what the hell is this I've googled it so many times to which is time I get different answers I truly am at the end of my tether with it 

I do have glow plug issues but it still did a regen so I'm ruling that out I replaced map sensor and the one on the boost pipe but they were cheap ones £30each just don't know what else to do 

Morning Matthew

Welcome to the Forum

You say you have done the exhaust manifold? Did you replace it with a cast one which is the best way to solve the cracked manifold issue.

The code you are seeing as you have discovered is an indication a symptom rather than the issue. A scan with a BMW specific scanner would give more accurate information.. 

I would back track carefully over all work done making sure everything was correctly fitted and in good condition/order, pay particular attention to all vacuum hoses they can collapse internally causing all sorts of issues. Google the test parameters/method for all the sensors and test their function is correct. Make sure the boost pressure actuator is operating as it should. Don't ignore the Boost hoses and inter cooler hoses 

Hope this helps not adds to the headache

Dave

Thank you dave for the reply 

Yes I replaced the standard one with a darkside development cast manifold I scanned with bimmerlink but I'll be honest I don't really know what I'm looking for I love the car drives faultless when working 

But when it comes to checking parameters and stuff I'm lost 

Is there anyone you can think of that would read my car in depth for me in Lincolnshire 

Is it true that these cars only like genuine sensors or is it a myth 

I'm getting a garage to do my glowplugs and controller but whilst the manifold is off I'm going to upgrade all the vac pipes with silicone ones and redo my swirlflaps as the last owner was a cowboy (superglued my bulbs in the headlight)and they look like theyre weeping oil but may be from somewhere else 

Just starting to think I purchased a money pit but I've been after an e60 msport for years so don't want to give up on her yet 

Hi Matthew

My brother inlaw is on his 5th 5 series touring, he has a business in Holland so commutes all over Europe and really racks up the miles. The BMW straight six diesel is as tough as old boots though it does need good maintenance.All his cars have gone beyond 200k, all have had a full BMW history and help from us both in between services. So if it was running sweetly before the issues I am sure it will again.

As regards sensors remember BMW buy them in, there are a long list of OEM suppliers so as long as they come from a reputable supplier they should be OK Also remember people have been tuning these motors for 20+ plus years now and have learned a lot. BMW will of course look down their nose and tell you their sensors are special ?? Well the price will be. We put a map sensor on my brother inlaws last but one 535d ordered fro Euro Car Parts gave them the part number they had Bosch in stock price just over half BMW's when it came it was in a BMW box ??

If you are not aware look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin in the search box it will call up your model then check the sections for what you need the small exploded drawings are a help when seeing where stuff fits. When you find the part number for the bit you need/want double click the number and it will call up a list of alternatives and other models it was used on.

Turbo actuators and turbo vanes stick so a bit of manual freeing up and copious WD40 can help and as said check all the Vac lines and hoses. Normally you can test a sensor using a multi meter there is plenty of help on line.

There may be a member in Lincolnshire who has INPA or BMW 1.4.0 or you could look on Ebay for a copy, I have seen copies for £40 and even already mounted on a Laptop for £150 (about half the cost of a scan at a Dealer)

Just be methodical take lots of pictures when dismantling it helps when putting stuff back

Good luck

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links