Mirrors not moving

Chu

Morning Oliver

Welcome to the Forum

When you say the mirrors don't move do you mean the glass can't be adjusted or do you mean they don't fold ?

Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the connectors? If you have and they are OK then you need to dig deeper if you use a garage it could be costly due to labour rates.

If you can DIY it would cheaper without diagnostics it's a case of testing first the door unit each mirror and possibly the seat adjustment unit plus all the wiring a break in the wiring for one mirror could effect both.

Dave

Thanks Dave! 

The passenger side mirror dips on reverse but doesn’t fold, the mirror adjustment itself isn’t working. If I’m correct the fuse box is in the glove box? For some reason that won’t open, even with the key.

Best

Oliver

OK dip on reverse can be turned off by repositioning the mirror selector switch to the other side.. In terms of operation the drivers door switch is the master switch so a fault there will effect both mirrors but the fact it dips on reverse would seem to indicate the fuse is OK

I would do 2 things, first use BMW Vin Decoder (Google) and you will find out what your car was supplied with you are looking for S313A and S459A I think I am right that without electric seat adjustment with memory you cant have power fold mirrors. So i would narrow my search to the drivers door master switch (windows and mirrors) 

Check and clean all connections with good contact cleaner and reassemble see if it helps, check the mirrors themselves where the loom enters the door for any cracks or breaks

Dave

Thank you Dave! Would it be a coincidence that the same drivers side HK tweeters aren’t working? I have checked the rubber loom covering by the door and it doesn’t appear to be damaged. Could this be just unfortunate or related?🤣

The more you dig Oliver the more you find 😂Tweeters first, swap to the other side if it works then it's the loom if it doesn't it's probably the tweeter. Opening and closing the door twists and bends the cables and like my old bus your drivers door has been opened and closed a few times !!

If you don't own a Multmeter borrow one or buy one (they aren't expensive) take off the door card and trim where the loom enters the mirror, then peel the rubber sleeve between the car body and door away from the car body so you have access to the loom. Now the slow bit I use a couple of pins and cable by cable stick a pin through the insulation at the door end the either test for continuity at the connector or stick another pin in if you can't get to the connector. If the loom checks out OK then it will be the mirror switch or master window controller switch (do the electric seat controls work OK) 

If you have an old laptop I would buy a copy of BMW 1.4.0 it should cost about £20 max it will allow dealer level diagnostics and save you a lot of time and stress. If you need to buy spares use www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will call up your model, then search the relevant section for the item and part number. That way if you buy stuff you know it will fit.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 8:58 AM, Greydog said:

The more you dig Oliver the more you find 😂Tweeters first, swap to the other side if it works then it's the loom if it doesn't it's probably the tweeter. Opening and closing the door twists and bends the cables and like my old bus your drivers door has been opened and closed a few times !!

If you don't own a Multmeter borrow one or buy one (they aren't expensive) take off the door card and trim where the loom enters the mirror, then peel the rubber sleeve between the car body and door away from the car body so you have access to the loom. Now the slow bit I use a couple of pins and cable by cable stick a pin through the insulation at the door end the either test for continuity at the connector or stick another pin in if you can't get to the connector. If the loom checks out OK then it will be the mirror switch or master window controller switch (do the electric seat controls work OK) 

If you have an old laptop I would buy a copy of BMW 1.4.0 it should cost about £20 max it will allow dealer level diagnostics and save you a lot of time and stress. If you need to buy spares use www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will call up your model, then search the relevant section for the item and part number. That way if you buy stuff you know it will fit.

Dave

Thanks Dave! 
so after getting a full service done, battery was disconnected the mirrors starting working again… for about a day 🥲

Morning Oliver

Battery Disconnect for around 30mins is a Dealer trick to reset all faults while it was disconnected did the check the battery and charge it? Low voltage can cause some weird things in BMW's 

Try fully charging the Battery (use the under bonnet charge points) and see what happens 

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links