Is this a sign of dying clutch / should I replace it?

jaro208

Hello all,

Bought a 2011 320D ED couple months ago.

When I bought it, the gear stick was shakey (more than usual) which is a sign of a bad dual mass flywheel.

It was driving okay till yesterday. After doing a harder acceleration in first gear to join the roundabout, the car now sometimes is unable to shift from First To Second while driving and it takes a considerable amount of force. Reverse is also a little harder to engage. Going from Third To Second is also hard sometimes. I also had issues putting it in first from stand still just once today.

The gearstick shake is worse than the first time I bought the car. I've tried putting the car in Third gear and I can get my speed up a little bit on biting point alone, it will drive a couple seconds before stalling. Also when I depress clutch, the car vibrates more and can hear a weird louder knocking sound consistent with the engine sound.

Does this sound like the flywheel and clutch need replacing? I've checked the brake fluid reservoir and it is maxed out.

I will be doing my first clutch / flywheel change myself, on road side with 4 axle stands, and a lot of Halfords socket sets image.gif.3a6ad0dd7d2b0dba8cab047bae6c1fa7.gif is there any specific tools to make this job easier?

I do work on cars, but never had such big issue before.

Also how much easier would it be to also replace timing while there?

Morning Jaro208

Welcome to the Forum

Wow where to start !! Your description certainly seems to point to the Dual Mass fly wheel. The issue is more a pain than difficult just remember all the bits involved are big and heavy so make sure that (a) there is plenty of room under the car (b) it is well supported on proper axel stands. Have a trolley jack ready to support the weight of the box also remember dual mass flywheels are no lightweight.

If you are not aware of them here are a couple of web sites that may help (1st) www.realoem.com this is a BMW online parts list, put the last 7 digits of your Vin Number in the search box it will bring up your model. This will help when buying parts that you know will fit

(2nd) www.pelicanparts.com This is an American site so the steering wheel is on the wrong side but all the important stuff is in the same place as your car, open the site and select "How Too" then your model type then scroll through to the section you need. All their How Too's have excellent pictures 

Read as much as you can first make sure you have all the parts/tools you need and don't rush and it will be fine

Timing? What are you thinking of changing? Is the timing chain noisy? Most timing chain issues I have experience of means engine out and strip down.

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links