How to tell if my X5 has the latest satnav update

milleniumaire

I'm in the UK and have a 2018 X5 xDrive30d and it is coming upto 3 years old i.e. the end of the warranty period.

A couple of days ago I got an email from info@bmw-connecteddrive.de warning me that "The subscription period of your ConnectedDrive services for your BMW will expire shortly.".  It mentioned that the "Map Update" and "USB Map Update" would expire on 2021-08-30.  It included a link to the "BMW CONNECTED DRIVE" website, so I clicked through and logged in (using my BMW Connected login details).

I saw the option to manually update the map using a USB flash drive and went through this process.  It took a looooooong time to download and copy a 34gb file onto the USB stick, then install in the car.

According to the Map Update webpage, the latest version of the map is EUROPE EVO 2021-2.  That's it, no more version details are shown!

After going through the process of updating the satnav map in the car, it is now showing the following version information:

Europe

BMW Group

Road Map EUROPE EVO

NBTevo_U19384I

Annoyingly, I didn't take a note of the version details prior to the update, so not sure if anything has actually changed!

As far as I can tell, the update has been applied to the cars satnav system.  On inserting the USB stick into the car for the first time, a message on the console screen told me a newer version of the map was available and would be updated.  I confirmed to go ahead and left it.  20 mins later I went back to the car to check progress and the ignition had turned off.  I turned it back on again and it appeared to continue from 60%.... Left it again and returned in another 10 mins.  Same thing, ignition had turned off.  Turned it on and it told me there wasn't a newer version of the map on the USB stick (can't remember the exact words).  I took this to mean it had installed the map update and detected a "new" update on the USB stick, but because this was the same version as was already installed on the car it warned me.  So, I never saw a message confirming the map update had completed successfully.  Rather annoying that the car ignition kept turning off.  Given these updates take a while, why does it do that?  Do BMW really expect someone to sit watching the screen until the update is completed?

So, I have no idea what the current version details (shown above) are telling me, compared to the limited version information on the BMW Connected Drive website.

Is my satnav map data now up-to-date?  How can I confirm this?

Thanks.

PS. Compared to the map update process used for my Mercedes, the BMW process is truly awful!  With the Merc, it is possible to update map regions individually, so no need to wait for hours for a single, huge update file.  As the file size exceeded the size of the many 32GB USB sticks I own, I had to purchase a new 64GB stick just for this upgrade!  The Merc software also tells you WHICH maps are out of date (by region) and when they are up-to-date.  No such info appears to be available on the BMW Connect Drive web pages or on the BMW Connected Android app.  I assume they just expect you to "know" or to "guess"!  Very, very poor.

Morning Paul

Welcome to the Forum

We have done this on my brother inlaws last 3, 5 series an all I can say is Arrrrrgh last time took almost two hours and we left the car running. If I remember you can check the version in the Idrive something like "select map, move the Idrive right you get settings scroll own the last setting (I think) select and it should show the version loaded.

BMW make things so convoluted even with the DVD nav the software and maps are separate??? Why

Dave

I noticed today that the version details of the satnav in the car are showing:

Europe

BMW Group

Road Map EUROPE EVO 2021-2

NBTevo_U19384I

So, the "Road Map EUROPE EVO" has now changed to "Road Map EUROPE EVO 2021-2" and this matches the version details provided on the BMW Connect Drive website.  I'm therefore more confident the map information has been updated.

I sent an email to customer.information@bmw.co.uk but so far haven't received a response.  I guess that will be due to COVID!!!!

Your maps are all updated so YAY

Sadly like so many organisations "Covid" is becoming a thin excuse but I guess we will have to live with it for awhile yet. Then like a revolving door Brexit will come back 😂