rear footwells wet

graham k

hi all, had the x3 a few weeks now and overall very pleased,

I've got a couple of littles niggles and wondering if anyone can help?

1/  I've discovered both rear footwells wet( I've read somewhere that poss. membrane behind door cards) any tips please

2/ car takes along time to get to 12 o'clock (temp gauge) when it does it then drops to 10 o'clock ,I've read somewhere again it needs to get to 12 o'clock for the regen to happen? poss. fix would be new coolant thermostat ? also replace the egr stat? which one is more likely if you where a betting man or is there another culprit??

thanks in advance 👍

Morning Graham

Problem 1. First check where the leak is coming in, if you have a Sun Roof check the seals and drains. Check the door and window seals are all good and not worn/damaged. Last remove the door cards on the rear doors and check the membranes if they are torn/damaged either repair or if possible replace them. Check the inside of the doors (use a heat gun or hairdryer to soften the membrane adhesive) check the drains in the door bottom. A talc puffer used around the seals and bottom of the door can help identify where its coming in.

Problem 2. Thermostats are cheap I would change them as a matter of course. Most likely suspect engine stat check realoem for the correct part number. While your in there check the water pump and all hoses and change if required.

Dave

Hi Graham 

The X5 has small slots in the rubber door seal Not sure about the X3 though?

Taking the door card off is the only way to be sure where the water is coming from. Door card off go around the edge of the membrane with a talc puffer then hose the out side water will leave tell tale runs in the talc. It doesn't take much of a gap to let water in. Is it both rear footwells or just one? I did read about a damaged rear washer hose allowing water down the B pillar into the rear footwell but only one side.

Dave

Thanks 

think I’ve found the problem 👍

whilst in the middle of a downpour I opened the rear doors and it’s running between the doors and the door card 

will as you say remove both rear door cards and see for sure 👍

Next question is do you or anyone no where to buy new vapour/ sound membrane if i was to get new

It says they are cheap on realoem 

but if I google them it comes up £75 ish each 😱

thanks 👍

Morning Graham

Try talking to your local BMW Dealer many give discounts on parts for older models like ours. Is yours missing ? they can be repaired with gaffer tape or if you have horses as we do Stormsure waterproof tape (rug repairs) is brilliant.

Most of the time it is the adhesive seal around the edges of the membrane which needs softening and spreading where the gaps are 

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 6:48 AM, Greydog said:

Morning Graham

Try talking to your local BMW Dealer many give discounts on parts for older models like ours. Is yours missing ? they can be repaired with gaffer tape or if you have horses as we do Stormsure waterproof tape (rug repairs) is brilliant.

Most of the time it is the adhesive seal around the edges of the membrane which needs softening and spreading where the gaps are 

Dave

started with rear passenger side first, as said i brought some new butyl tape, adhesive ,peeled old stuff off door ,replaced with new ,heated with heat gun then firmly rolled with a wallpaper roller, bone dry after standing with a hose on the window for 10 mins

cheep easy fix 

thanks

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links