Computer Display Not Working

martin Nitram

Hi All,

Newbie seeking Help.

X5 2005 3l Auto, Recurring problem, while driving computer display is not working, which causes the internal indicator lights & sounds usually present not working, however on checking externally the are working, together with the Radio not working. The computer display will boot up after a few attempts its self while still driving & all seems normal, until stop and switch off. Cannot re-start asking for 4 Digit CODE.

After disconnecting / reconnecting the Battery the car starts fine after the 10 minute countdown. But the same will happen again.

Only restarts if Car is turned off while the Computer Display is not working and had not had the chance to  re-boot it's self.

Ant Thought's TIA

Hi Martin

Welcome to the Forum

When you say computer display I take you mean the screen in the centre of the Dash? The system if you are not aware is made up from a number of components Screen up front which receives Video signals from the Nav Unit or TV unit managed by the BM54 Radio unit, signals are also received from the Instrument cluster (OBC) and the TCU if telephone/bluetooth is fitted. The Nav TV BM54 and TCU are all fitted in the boot either in the left cubby or under the floor and are prone to water damage if there are any leaks in the area. Check it carefully also check the earth points (BMW use common earth points) I had an issue on my current 4.6 X5 which traced to the earth point at the back of the spare wheel well removed cleaned and refitted using contact paste (used to seat stuff in computers) all issues disappeared. Do you have a reverse camera fitted?

Is the Screen OEM or as has been done by many has it been changed for an After Market unit?

All the OEM stuff is linked by the I bus loop so that may need checking 

I had many problems with my 4.4 X5 which was so frustrating it drove me up the wall. If the BM54 Radio was disconnected all was good. In the end I replaced the head unit/screen with a Dynavin unit took all the rest out and sold it on Ebay which recovered the cost of the Dynavin Nav TV Digital Radio plus bluetooth that worked all in one unit. I am told the current units also retain BMW OBC information maybe worth a look.

I hope this helps Good Luck

Dave