E36 328i 1996 alarm won't switch off

Ken 328

Hi all 

As above, after being left standing for a while but on trickle charge, I found that at some point the battery had exploded and left a nice pool of acid underneath the car as it had melted through the grommet in the battery box in the boot..anyway, with a new battery connected, the car starts and runs but I can't get the alarm to switch off, the only way it will switch off is if I lock the car with the key and then immediately press the key fob a few times, then it just goes quiet, but as soon as I open the door or turn the ignition on, all hell breaks loose again. It's got a BMW 2t alarm fitted according to the label on top of the siren, so I've been trying to hunt down the alarm control unit to shut it up until I can get it to BMW to reset it, but I can't find the module, any ideas anyone please, I've got the glove box out and I see the ews module, but I don't think unplugging that is a good idea, and I can't find any info on this in my manual. Is there a control module I can cut the power to, or is it integrated with the ews? 

Morning Ken

First if you aren't aware of them a couple of Web Sites that I find invaluable.

1) www.realoem.com This is a BMW Parts Data Base put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will bring up your model. Then search the sections for what you need, two benefits if buying spare parts you are sure to have the correct part number plus there are small exploded drawings that are great for clues to how and where parts are fitted.

2) www.newtis.info This is a BMW Technical Information site use it in the same way the information here is used by BMW Dealers to carry out repair and retro fitting of parts.

If I recall the EWS controls the Immobilizer and central locking which is linked to the audible alarm, the alarm has links to sensors/switches on doors, windows,bonnet and boot plus interior motion detector.

As you can lock unlock with the key and start the car I would suspect the Alarm unit and or one of its sensors. 3series alarms suffered from failed bonnet switches try unplugging the bonnet position switch, who knows you may get lucky? 

If you lock the car with the key only then press the fob to unlock does the alarm sound?

Hope I have helped not hindered

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links