e36 convertible roof top frame pivot

rsb323

Hi, I have a '99 323i convertible. I'm having several problems with the roof. First and foremost when I pull the soft top up it goes most of the way but the last part from the top frame pivot to the windscreen wont straighten out. When I looked closely the top frame pivot is a fork that should slide onto a pin and on my car the fork is going over the top of the pin and jamming the frame. I've included a photo. Does anyone know how to adjust this part of the roof so that the fork and pin interlock?

My second problem (which may be linked to the first - I don't know) is that the first time I tried to raise the roof nothing happened so I disengaged the motors to raise it manually which is when i found the first problem. It worked ok when I bought the car but i usually drive it with the hard top on so don't use the soft top much. I've reengaged the motors but nothing happens when i try to resynchronise the system - I just get a flashing red light on the button on the centre console.

If anyone can help with either of these problems I would be grateful.

top frame pivot 323i.JPG

Hi Richard

Welcome to the Forum

I am not a Convertible owner but looking at the picture I guess the lower section should be in the fork? 

Have a look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will call up your model/year then look in the roof section. There should be exploded drawings that may give a clue. This site is a parts site so if new/replacement parts are needed you will have the part number.

Also look at www.newtis.info same search criteria this one is a BMW Technical information site that the Dealers use for service and repair information there should be stuff there as well.

Finally look at www.pelicanparts.com an American site so the steering is on the wrong side but they have many great "how to's" with pictures you may get some help there.

Good luck

Dave

Thanks Dave, since I posted I worked out how to remove the cover panel where it attaches to the windscreen so I could see the connecting rods etc. I used a drill to operate the mechanism and have managed to realign the forks and the pins so at least I can now attach the soft top. My second problem remains however that I cannot get any movement from the motors to resynchronise the mechanism. I've tried all the advice i can find about removing fuses, opening the boot, closing the boot, holding down the console switch etc but nothing seems to work. I guess there's either a microswitch that needs adjusting or there's a dead electrical item somewhere but I don't know how to go about testing it.

If anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Morning Richard

Some progress at least, is there nothing on www.newtis.info that helps with testing and resetting? 

A Diagnostic session with a garage or maybe someone on the forum that is close to you should let you know what the issue is.

I live in West Sussex

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links