2008 318i wont start hot

hi all ive bought a 2008 318i 2 days a ago the car starts fine cold and drives well no problems but when it is hot it wont restart until the engine cools down again. ive had it at garage today and replaced thermostat took it out for a drive and still not starting once hot any ideas? cant see any heat shielding missing possible crank sensor?and if i bu a diagnostic tool would this show up on it?thanks in advance

Morning Matt

If you buy a Diagnostic Tool make sure it is BMW Specific as a Generic tester will give some codes but wont see all the modules and sensors. Something like ISTA/INPA or BMW 1.4.0, they can save you a lot.

With out diagnostics I am guessing but the problem you have (but here goes) First check the Fuel Pump and Fuel Pump relay try turning the ignition to position 2 but don't start. Listen for the fuel pump after about 30 secs try a start if it fires but stutters my guess is fuel pump or relay or both. It could be injector related or injector loom related, it could be a sensor on its way. As you can see without diagnostics you could end up throwing money at the problem.

My best guess money stays with fuel pump or relay 

Good Luck

Dave

51 minutes ago, Greydog said:

Morning Matt

If you buy a Diagnostic Tool make sure it is BMW Specific as a Generic tester will give some codes but wont see all the modules and sensors. Something like ISTA/INPA or BMW 1.4.0, they can save you a lot.

With out diagnostics I am guessing but the problem you have (but here goes) First check the Fuel Pump and Fuel Pump relay try turning the ignition to position 2 but don't start. Listen for the fuel pump after about 30 secs try a start if it fires but stutters my guess is fuel pump or relay or both. It could be injector related or injector loom related, it could be a sensor on its way. As you can see without diagnostics you could end up throwing money at the problem.

My best guess money stays with fuel pump or relay 

Good Luck

Dave

Cheers Dave I will do as for position 2 is this putting the clutch in my  318 has the start stop button on it? It’ll be Sunday before I can get near the car to busy with work I’m going to check all earths are good as with the heat in the engine will create a lot of resistance could throw earth fault?

Hi Matt

No need for clutch just position 2 if the relay or fuel pump are on the way out or intermittent it will give it time to build pressure 30 secs should be enough and see if it will then start.

If you are not aware here are a couple of site s that may help. www.realoem.com a BMW parts site put the last 7 digits of your vin into the search box it will bring up your model. Makes sure you have the correct part numbers if buying stuff. www.newtis.info a BMW Technical Information site BMW Dealers use the same information.

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links