2007 x5 nagging problem

Hello, I own a 2007 x5. I am plagued with the problem of periodically losing battery power that is causing warnings about losing traction control, having transmission warnings, and even temperature warnings. The vehicle will self regulate speed and performance until it is poo off. A quick charge to the battery fixes the problem for a while till it happens again. I have replaced the battery, throttle body and harnesses and have replaced the radiator and coolant pipes. I cannot find what is drawing on the battery. Any suggestions?

Hi Joe

Welcome to the Forum

First are all the accessories OEM or has a different radio/nav been fitted or a bluetooth unit? If all is OEM I would check that the car goes to sleep once shut down and key removed, it can take 15mins for the light on the gear change to extinguish the X is now asleep. There will always be a draw but in Mili amps to keep clock time radio memory etc. If the car is going into sleep mode and there is a higher draw then it is a case of pulling fuses until you find the circuit that is causing the draw.

I am assuming (a stupid thing to do) the new battery is correct for your car that the car is in regular use and you have had the alternator output checked. If the battery isn't charging correctly plus short journeys will cause the problem as will worn starter motors (not uncommon) check the amperage at the starter if it is high it will knock a new battery back very quickly also check the tightness of the main leads at the charging point under the bonnet and the starter.

If the car isn't in regular use then I would use a Ctek charger charge and condition the battery on a regular basis

Good Luck

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links