Advice on buying X5

RizzleKicks

Afternoon Folks,

I’m new to BMW Forum & am looking at purchasing an X5, I have read some poor reviews etc but am looking at a 2006 model , my budget is 8K with low mileage around 40,000 i have seen a few and not to familiar on models or what to look out for. 

I would appreciate all the advice possible. 

Is servicing possible at home or is it a garage job ? 

Also does  the X5 come with heated front Windscreen or is this an optional extra ? 

Cheers ,

RizzleKicks 

Hi RizzleKicks

Welcome to the forum

As with any car History is top of the list, it doesn't matter which model you purchase check the history, check the MOT History also (advisories or fails give a clue to how the car has been maintained) 

Make sure the engine is cold (I have always been suspicious of why the engine has been run prior to viewing) Check the fluid levels then start the engine while it is warming up climb in and make sure everything works as it should and I mean everything, every button every switch. These are complicated cars and there are no cheap fixes, well not that I have found. 

Once up to operating temp get out and check under for signs of leaks, all good off for a test drive gear changes should be smooth up and down the box in all modes (Drive Manual Sport)

Check tyre condition edge wear can be a sign of suspension bushes on the way, not a disaster but a negotiating point, Tyres for these aren't cheap. Make sure the tyres are correct particuarly if the wheel set is staggered (wider rear) as rolling radius across axel's and front rear need to be in tolerance to avoid transmission wind up and damage. Put the car in reverse and back up on lock any jerking or noises walk away, 

There are 3 Petrol versions 3.0i, 4.4, 4.8 and the 3.0 Diesel Not much to choose in MPG between the petrol engines as the smaller has to work harder expect around 19 mpg average mixed driving. The diesel is a very different proposition delivering 218 bhp and high 20's low 30's average mpg.

The V8 engines are known for their habit of eating the timing chain guides if not maintained meticulously looked after they are great engines with a great sound. The straight six BMW engine in both flavours are as tough as a tough thing.

It's a BMW so pretty much everything was an extra at order so heated screens and heated steering wheels are pretty rare. quite a few diesels have pre heaters so you can warm the car with out starting the engine on cold days. If it has the option make sure it works

Hope this helps

Dave 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links