Chasis check fault light

WLG

Afternoon everyone,

New to the group so please be gentle.

I have a 2013 520d estate (F11) with air suspension and for the past few days I have bee  getting a fault message for the Chasis. If I leave the car overnight the fault goes away for a few days before coming back , i have also noticed that if i use eco mode in drive select the fault is more frequent and when displayed the suspension fails to lower overnight. If i drive in normal mode and the fault doesnt come back then the air suspension lowers over night and inflates fine when i start the car.....Car has been in for repair but came back as no fault found , has anybody had this in the past and if so what has been the way to resolve it ?

Ps - Even with light on the car handles totally fine and drives without any issues.

Thanks

Wayne

Welcome Wayne

This is a new one.

Where was it in for repair? if the check light is on normally a fault is recorded and held in the memory of each module. If a BMW diagnostic program is used it can interrogate each control module individually I used BMW 1.4.0. When I scan the car it will show each module with and indicator against it (example  DME1 fault) when I interrogate the fault I can see either a Red indicator (fault present) a Yellow indicator (fault not present) plus a description of the fault.

If the Garage used a generic reader it may not see the history in each control module.

Attached is a screen from my brother inlaws 530d which we scanned last weekend there are 3 screens of modules. Most of the faults on his car were historic (fault not present) so were just reset 

Dave

I.4.0 Screen 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback.

So yesterday the car went into the garage to be checked (different one from before) and informed me that the rear offside airbag was leaking so they have today fitted a new pair of airbags but on my way home the warning came bag on (after 3miles of driving) and now the suspension is at full height. Will see overnight if it lowers itself back to normal height by the morning , rang the garage who said that there must be a totally different fault that they missed........Mmmmm me thinks this independent is as bad as the main BMW dealer in Northampton 

Get them (or you) to check the ride height sensors on the X5 they are mounted towards the front of the rear suspension, black plastic it has a knuckle joint that should point to the outside of the car. If the suspension has been pulled down to far (when they changed bags) and when it went back the knuckle joint folded the wrong way you will have a fault. I have read of this on quite a few X5's. As the X5 of my vintage are old tech maybe a bit of research is needed.

Take a look at www.realoem.com check the air suspension drawing and parts list I just had a quick look you have 1 control unit and a control relay. So if the air bags have been replaced my thinking is the control unit needs checking/resetting or the relay and control unit need replacing.due to a fault.

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links