No hill climb decent or dsc??? Help!

Waters298

Hi guys, 

New to forums so go easy on me haha.

I have a 2005 x5 sport with every option on it and have a series of bugs to fix.

So firstly my CHECK BRAKE LININGS warning is on, i am today changing the pads and sensors so should be no issue.... however i cannot turn on hill climb nor deactivate dsc! Is this due to the warning i have for my pads or is it a seperate issue? When i press the hill descent button i get no light appear on the button. Should these illuminate on the cluster on startup? 

Any help is greatly appreciated, i am an engineer so go nuts with the technical answers/ideas.

Regards,

Lee.

Hi Lee.....welcome to the Forum

I would replace the pads as planned and then see if that resolves the DSC and Hill Start issue.
If it doesn't go then I would advise checking your ABS sensors.

Another thought....are your tyre diameters the same (e.g. same tread depth over the axle set)?

Thanks for the reply, 

Hadn't thought about the abs, however i have no fault codes when i obd check the car. Thread depths are good. Four newish tyres, however i do have one leaning in rear wheel slightly which im assuming is a bush or something... i am having the alignment done next week.

I do still find it odd that i have no light on the hill descent button appear or ability to remove dsc.

Hi Lee

Welcome to the Forum as Trevor has said first change the Pads and Sensors. While you are in there check the ABS sensors and reluctor rings are clean. At 2005 your car is at the change point for AWD and Xdrive does your car have the 5 or 6 speed gearbox? If it's 6 speed you will have xdrive so check the fuses no 44 or 45 can't remember which check your manual. If the fuse is blown or missing you may well have a transfer box issue.

With regard to HDC (Hill Descent Control) it is only active at less than 35kph (22mph) when the car is moving down hill it will reduce the cars speed to around 8kph (3mph) you can adjust speed with the =/- on the Cruise control or you could have a fuse gone?. There is also a program in the Gearbox which will select a lower gear when travelling down hill to maintain speed it works at around 30mph.

DSC is a stability program that is linked to ABS not clear if you have the DSC symbol on the dash between the clocks illuminated and tried to turn it off or whether you have tried the switch? Have you disconnected the battery recently? This will illuminate the DSC symbol on the dash driving slowly forward turning lock to lock should clear the light.

Rear suspension increased camber will be the lower ball joint/ rose bushes a straight forward job just remember to pull the fuse for the air suspension (right hand cubby in the boot) if the air suspension is charged you will not be able to find any movement. BMW say about 80k for the bushes is their life and they are right. when I did mine I changed I also changed the upper arms as I brought a kit. Also consider changing the bushes on the lower swing arms (2 to each arm) BMW will try to sell you a complete arm. The old swing arm bushes I pushed out using a couple of suitably sized sockets and a piece of stud, to put the new bushes in they need to be compressed I used a couple of jubilee clips to do the job then used a couple of big washers and a socket to pull them into place.Also worth checking the rear subframe bushes while your at it. Once done the ride handling is completely different.plus it will save a fortune in tyres.

Dave

Dave this is great info.... thankyou so much. 

Pads and sensors have solved the main warnings so thats good. I shall check the fuses you mentioned regarding hill climb and dsc tomorrow. I have owned many bmw's and normally if the dsc is held it shows up on the main cluster. I get nothing, and as for the hill climb i notice it lights on the button now on startup. So some life in it but nothing once pressed.

Again thankyou for a nice detailed response and i will be back tomorrow for a follow up. 👍

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links