Guidance needed!

Jables66

Hi all! Please let me know if this isn't the appropriate section for asking for help; it's been a while since I last used a forum with any kind of regularity and I forget the etiquette. 

Anyway, I'm having a few problems with my E46 (318i SE Touring, 2002) and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what I can do about them. 

First, my rear wiper doesn't work at all. Using the stalk, there's no noise to indicate that any motors or pumps are activating and the rear screenwash jet doesn't squirt anything. The wiper arm moves freely by hand and the action feels pretty smooth, so I don't think it's seized. I've also checked the two fuses (14 & 45 at 5A, I think) related to the rear wiper and both look fine. Only things I haven't checked as I don't have the means to do so (I do have access to a workshop and my boss/guru/father-in-law/best mate to assist) are the motor itself, which I assume is a visual inspection followed by a volt meter, and I haven't checked for faulty or broken wiring causing a short. Replacement parts aren't a problem, nor is any amount of labour. With the current bad weather, it would be prudent to make fixing it a priority. 

Second and final thing is the central locking. It works when using the locking button on the centre console, but the key fob does nothing at all. Furthermore, when locking the doors with the key, it takes a few tries to get all the doors to lock instead of just the driver's door. Finally, the dash lights say the tailgate is always open. Not sure if it relates to the locking issue, but it's just a minor annoyance. The lights in the boot don't turn on unless I actually open the tailgate. Could this be a replacement locks/motors job? I haven't checked the fuses relating to the locking mechanisms, but I'm assuming they're fine since the problem seems to be mechanical rather than electrical. 

Many thanks in advance, 

Jack 

Morning Jack

I would look at the cable feed from the body to the tailgate continual flexing can cause breaks to occur certainly checking out all the connections with a multimeter.

I would check out www.realoem.com it's an online BMW parts list put the last 7 digits of your car in the search box and it will bring up your model. Search the section with the rear wiper and you will find diagrams and part numbers useful if you have to buy a part (second hand or new) Also take a look at www.newtis.info a BMW technical information site as used by BMW Dealers, great for how too's.

Finally I use BMW 1.4.0 software on an old Laptop (£9 from ebay) it reads codes and gives a description of the fault in English as an example I have a PDC fault with parking sensors front and rear the laptop tells me rear inner right sensor is the one. Just have to wait for the weather to improve to change it.

Central locking could be the battery in the key is dead, or it could be the diversity antenna above the rear window it could even be related to your wiper issue 

Good luck with the fault finding

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links