x5 30d 2014 mpg??

bmwbob

Hi,

I've got X5 30d, 2014, M sport with 20" wheels.  I only get 32mpg, whereas spec says I should be getting about 45mpg. Dealer claims 32mpg is good, but not impressed.  Anyone getting near the 45mpg? is it the 20" wheels that kill the mpg?  I only get 34mpg on a long run.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

Are you taking the MPG from the on board computer or calculated fill to fill? 20" wheels should make little difference as the rolling radius is the same for all BMW recommended sizes for the X5 unless the pressures are low?

As an example my 4.6 averages 19.8 mpg according to the computer over the last 5k or so of mixed motoring and pulling 2 fat horses around. How ever if I zero the computer on the motorway at a steady speed it reads 27 mpg (makes me feel good but not real) 

The only way to be sure is take the mileage at fill up then again at the next and calculate fuel against miles.

The danger is if you drive trying to get to the manufacturers claims (set in a lab on a dyno not in car on the road) you may not enjoy your car. Just my point of view after all we drive big fat heavy cars with the aerodynamics of a brick. You may also notice I always go for the "Full Fat" version of any car I have owned so not the best to talk about economy.

Hi,

Thanks for comments.  I measure it by fill up.  However, computer reads similar, so neither are anywhere near the BMW figures!  btw - No horsebox, no towing, just normal driving really... all my other BMW's have given close to the claimed figures, but this one is (literally) miles away from their figures.

Anyone else got comment?

Thanks.  Bob

Morning Bob

looking at other sites many report around the high 30's to 40 mark so what about the usual mechanical suspects, wheel bearings on the way out or binding brakes any heat in the diffs or transfer box?

Is the EGR valve thingy that diesels have  OK ? 

Just thinking out loud here as you say even my computer is close to real life and that's on a 12 year old car, a pampered one but still 12 years old.

Hi,

Thanks for pointers, most interesting that others are getting 20-30% better economy and nearer to manufacturers figure - only thing I notice is slight whine from front as it slows to a halt (as it changes down gears), and can only hear that if radio is off.  Wheel bearings sounds like a dealer will need to check, but the dealer thinks that low 30's is quite good!

Thanks.  Bob

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links