struggling to bleed brakes!!!

Hello again

Very recently had to replace rear drivers side brake hose from calliper to rigid pipelines in the body,easy peasy.

However bleeding them has been a nightmare! I tried bleeding them mandraulically (foot on the pedal pump pump pump),no luck. Then managed to get a hold of a pressure bleeder (using my spare wheel as the pressure). Tried that twice before giving up. Wtf is going on? I am all out of ideas. I may have been slightly complacent on my first two attempts but my final attempt I stuck to procedure and never moved away from it,double checked for air leaks etc etc. Certain that surely a third time would do it, but still no joy. Anybody else ever had this problem or know how to fix this problem of mine before I call the garage and throw away my hard earned cash? My brakes never showed signs of spongeyness before i replaced this hose.

Thanks in advance

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for getting back to me fellas,

you are right it was air in my ABS and i reluctantly had to get a garage to diagnostically cycle it to release the air.

I tried engaging it as you normally would buy braking hard on wet roads a few times but that didn't help atal. Anyway thats one for the memory bank and lesson learned.

I forgot to mention that my brake system had bled itself dry whilst i was waiting for the hose to turn up, according to th bmw mechanic who i took it to, if this happens there is no other way to get the air out of the ABS than to get it plugged in and cycled.

Thanks again

• 3 years later...

Morning Bazza

Welcome to the Forum

When you say same issue have you got or used INPA or similar so you can recycle the ABS unit while bleeding, if the ABS unit has been recycled during bleeding and you have a pedal that has pressure then sinks, then there is a non return valve on the Servo unit if this is letting by then the pedal will sink slowly to the floor when pressure is on the pedal.

A trick you can try is cut a block of wood long enough to fit between the drivers seat and the brake pedal. Engine off the block should be placed between the drivers seat and the brake pedal push the pedal down and use the electric seat adjustment to hold it there leave it overnight . You may have to repeat a few times.

Good Luck 

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links