Are My Wheel Bearings Unserviceable?

Matelot Mike X5 56'

Afternoon all,

Whilst cornering round a roundabout this morning, a loud whirring sound was audible and slight grinding feeling through the steering wheel was felt. This carried on for about two minutes even after i had straightened up,minus the grinding (i think). I then recreated the fault again this afternoon with the same results. And this was both turning right and left. One thing that struck me as strange though was that when I stopped the car whilst this noise was happening (i wanted to check under the bonnet to see if i could hear where this noise was coming from), the noise was still apparent even though i had stopped. By the time i got out the car i could no longer hear anything.

At first i thought it may be a power steering pump, but after recreating the fault a couple of times i was starting to think it may be one or both of my front bearings.

Am i correct in thinking so?

Anyone else have any ideas or similar experiences?

Another thing, i have 200 mile motorway journey tomorrow. Should i take my wifes car instead?

Thanks

Have you checked your power steering fluid? If you could hear the noise when stopped I would not think its wheel bearings as they wouldn't be turning the power steering pump would though.

I would check and top up the power steering pump and get it checked for leaks (it shouldn't lose fluid it;s a closed system)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links