New Owner 09 X5 4.8

09x5xdrive48i

Hello everyone, I just purchased an 09 sport package X5 4.8i.

It has 65,000 miles on it and out of dozens of cars it is the first BMW I ever owned.

I am sure you have seen many of similar newbie threads, but I bought the car sight unseen and I'm having it shipped to me. I've heard some negative things about the 4.8 engine so could you please give me some hints, thoughts, opinions about this kind of a car that I can look for when I get it, so it turns out to be a positive experience for a first-time BMW owner?

Thank you in advance

Welcome and enjoy your new car

Remember that many people on forums are looking for answers to an issue, what isn't compared is the number of issues against the number of the model manufactured.

Things I would check when you have the car

First. Check at cold start up there are no noises or rattles the engine should be smooth and quiet. Check the service history and any receipts for work you can check MOT online and see any advisories.

Second. While the engine is starting to warm up check all the electrics work. I mean everything, press every button and make sure it operates as it should check the operation of the air suspension check auto lights and wipers along with all seat functions. These are complicated beasts and there are no "cheap" fixes with these cars.

Third. Test drive, I dont know what you are/were driving but the steering may feel a little heavy (they all are) gear changes should be smooth both up and down the box test kick down then test the sport and manual functions on the box. Give it a good hard run and when slowing from 70mph if there is any vibration in the brake pedal it most likley will be the Brake reaction bushes (common) the X5 bushes are one of the parts which wear quickly about 80k is their life. Tyre wear is another indicator of bush wear.

Hopefully all is good, now drive and enjoy. I woould as a precaution have an oil and filter change and get the gearbox serviced. BMW say sealed for life but ZF who make the box advise a service at 80 to 120000 km (50 to 80000 miles)

Hope this helps

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links