Intermittent Starting Issue: 2009 E70 X5 35d Msport

johnbheli

Apologies if this question has been asked before......................?

I'm also not sure how to exactly phrase the question - but here goes!

Insert key fob into dashboard slot - warning lights & iDrive all start up - press the Start / Stop button - nothing

Upon advice I changed the key fob over to the spare one - problem seemed to go away.................?

Problem has now recurred.

Obvious checks done re correct insertion of the key fob, etc.

Usually, removal and reinsertion of the key fob "fixes" the problem - sometimes up to 6 reinsertions needed - car the starts as normal.

Spoken with BMW UK Customer services and several BMW dealers - nobody's admitting to a known issue here? One dealer did say that they had changed the dashboard receptacle.

When car does not start the electrics seem to behave in a similar way to when the key fob is partially removed - i.e. they shut down??

Obviously, any diagnostic check would only be useful if the car was actually experiencing the problem - nothing comes up on the iDrive either.

Thoughts please.

Key fob not being recharged when inserted? I have heard of this with E53's inductor ring on the ignition failed so the battery in the fob doesn't recharge resulting in no keyless functions you can still get in and start it with the key however

Thanks Greydog - I'll check this - not sure how?

What is interesting is that a key fob which had laid dormant for almost a year seemed to remove the problem?

It has now returned!!

According to my local BMW dealer their diagnostic check would pick up this intermittent fault....................??

It had better do at £78 for a diagnostic check :(

I'm still checking around....................

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Again,

Well after some email, Twitter, and Facebook Ping-Pong with BMW UK Customer Services, the car went into Williams, Stockport........

Despite being pre-warned of a maximum diagnostic charge of £78 for each of the items - i.e. intermittent starting, and worn anti-roll bar bushes: the car stayed in for two days and came back with a "software enhancement", no diagnostic charges, and the anti-roll bar bushes replaced for £109!!

Apparently, nothing was found re the intermittent starting fault - but "some aspects" of the software enhancement address issues with the key fob receptacle in the dash-board??

Can anyone throw any light on this software enhancement - it is carried out FOC when certain vehicle / engine combinations go into a dealership for other work......?

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links