E92 320D Coupe M Sport

FA57 TAZ

Hi,

I have recently sold my Citroen C2 Code and at the end of May I should be getting my hands on a E92 320D Coupe M Sport. It's a 2009 model with 60,000 miles on the clocks. It's been fully serviced at the BMW dealer it was bought from. I've never owned a BMW or a car like this, it's my first foray into the world of prestige cars. I just wanted to know more about the engines in this particular model. Are they reliable? It's actually my partners Dad's car and he's owned it almost from new and has never had any problems with it. I just want to make sure it's going to be a good investment. Is there anything I need to look out for with a car this age/mileage.

One other thing - the rear brake pads are due a change in a few thousand miles. I have done brakes before on my own cars, is it possible to do it on BMW's and reset the computer to tell it they've been done or is that a BMW job?

Many thanks!

Some of the 2.0 diesel engines had a problem with the timing chain stretching and in some cases snapping however if its been looked after it is likely to be fine and with such low mileage as well it should be ok. Just check to make sure its not noisy. A chain clanking and rattling should be obvious.

The computer is easy to reset. I have done it myself when the garage couldn't. You don't need any programming devices. Its just a sequence of pressing the buttons.

Step 1

Insert key into slot

Step 2

Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.

Step 3

Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.

Step 4

You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.

Step 5

When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done

Step 6

You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

)

A word of warning `tho if you don`t want to alter the date of next service, you`ll need to change the date in your car to the date when the last service was done. Otherwise the computer will automatically change the date to 2 yrs from todays date. (hope that makes sense

Thanks for replying Bruce, really appreciate your response. I love the colour of your 320 btw, it's gorgeous. I can't recall my partners Dad ever having any engine problems and just before Christmas it went to BMW and had a major service done, so I guess any timing chain issues would have been pointed out by BMW? The car has been sat in storage for some time though as my partners parents emigrated about 18 months ago, so it's been in and out of storage. It has had all it's services done when it's been in use, so there's no problems there. I just wondered what the engines were like on these cars.

I've never owned a BMW, but know most German cars are built to last as long as they're looked after, which this one has been.

With regards to the resetting of the computer, is there a machine you can buy that reads fault codes and that will clear the service computer?

Le Mans blue is the colour and it took me months to find a low mileage one in the spec I wanted.

You may be able to get an OBD11 device that connects to your computer with software that does the lot. I have a very good code reader which clears the codes but not the service indicators.

One of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-C110-MANUFACTURER-OBDII-FAULT-CODE-ENGINE-ABS-TRANSMISSION-AIRBAG-SCANNER-UK-/161673843593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a4831389

Engine wise,

Very economical for what it gives, not to loud either for a diesel and has a a lot of torque. Great cars, you'll probably grow out of the engine relatively fast but the luxury and comfort is a different story.

There is the dreaded timing chain issue though, but someone on the forum from the 1series section just got their 2009 120d with N47 rattle fixed for free at bmw so if you can get the same happy days.

In terms of reliability, I would and do ignore the service intervals especially the oil and do it twice in the suggested 20k, hot debate all over the Web over oil changes and oil tech and weather is necessary but for the sake of 40/50 quid every 10k deff not worth the risk, only changing the oil after 20k to me just seems far to long.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links