Timing Chain Rattle / Imminent Failure -Covered By Warranty?

Hangus

BMW 1 series diesel with 70K miles on developed a rattle - it is the timing chain. Warranty covers wear and tear and service failures. However the contentious bit for me is; is this deemed a failure or not as it is still working?
Consequential failure is that it breaks the engine that will ultimately cost more.

Anybody experienced this and how was the warranty company with you?

Thanks

Not usually covered, even with the notorious N47 chain failures i think BMW only paid for parts. Is this a 120D by any chance? and did you buy it form BMW?

I got mine changed for £1400 , which was pretty damn reasonable for the job but you should be able to get between £1400 and £2000 as its pretty labour intensive.

I have a 3rd part warranty but it only covers the failure of the engine if the chain snaps, not the chain wearing out, so basically i could have waited till it snapped and had a £4-7K rebuild of which £2k is covered under the warranty or pay £1400 myself.

Most of these warranties are useless to be honest only thing mine is good for really is turbo failure.

Mine covers wear and tear, and the way it is worded covers the timing chain and guides etc. also. However, they will repair it under 'failure'. But it hasn't failed yet but most certainly will at some point. SO I guess it is a question of whether the warranty company want to pay for a replacement chain and labour at around £1500. Or in the not too distant future replacing the engine and other bits and pieces at muchos costo!!

However, been alerted to this thread just this evening. hope this doesn't contravene rules but this thread is very useful to read.

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62400&start=135

Mine covers wear and tear, and the way it is worded covers the timing chain and guides etc. also. However, they will repair it under 'failure'. But it hasn't failed yet but most certainly will at some point. SO I guess it is a question of whether the warranty company want to pay for a replacement chain and labour at around £1500. Or in the not too distant future replacing the engine and other bits and pieces at muchos costo!!

However, been alerted to this thread just this evening. hope this doesn't contravene rules but this thread is very useful to read.

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62400&start=135

Does yours have a limit? for example mine covers the first £2k of any repair. It does seem very crafty alot of the wording on my warranty as mine said almost the exact same thing, that it only covers failure due to and not anything preemptive which then would class as "wear and tear"

OK - big development today. Last night I discovered a thread talking about a Quality Enhancement Check (recall in disguise IMO) on 2007 and 2008 cars with the N47 series engine. I called one local dealer in Newcastle and they were vague on when they had the tool to check it and to be honest didn't seem the least bit interested. Even though I had just bought a brand new 335D from them last month. So much for customer service eh?

So I called Cooper up and they couldn't have been more helpful. My car is booked in for 3 weeks time at which they will keep the car for probably 3 days, provide courtesy car and give the car whatever it needs. Only thing they said was that any fluids lost that needed topping up would be charged at net cost, but the car needs a service within 1000 miles anyway so I'll probs just get the service done there. Service prices seem quite reasonable now on ageing BMW's.

SO there you go, if you have a 07/08 car with the N47 engine, call your local dealer and if you don't get the right answer, all the next one.

Oh and if my engine goes pop as a result of timing chain failure between now and it being booked, the lady at the dealer explained they would have to honour fixing it as it was already booked in.

To say I am pleased is an understatement. I think this is a good thing that BMW are doing, though many will argue it is too little too late. No mention of any recall / QE etc., on 09 plate onwards as far as I know.

Hope this helps some of you.

My understanding is that it is only for 2007 and 2008 cars at present. I guess it affects such a huge number of models and variants that they are hitting the older cars first.

On the subject of warranty, it does cover wear and tear for most parts and the claim limit is the value of the car with a £50 excess on each claim.

Warranty direct are supposed to be one of the better ones but as yet I've not claimed so can't really comment.

I;ll post on here in a few weeks time when it's (hopefully) all done and let you know what happens.

hi pal i got a 118d 2009 in january, i looked into this and was told by bmw garage it wont be covered by normal warrenty. god sake dont drive it the noise echo.s off the back of the engine bay its £300 400 to change the chain and LOTS to have a rebuild.

hi when i checked it was all the e92? motor up till 2011,12

Anything with an n47 engine from 07-09 I think.

So the e92 chassis includes the 320D

Pretty much all Bmw 4 cylinder 2L diesel from this period

• 2 months later...

OK - big development today. Last night I discovered a thread talking about a Quality Enhancement Check (recall in disguise IMO) on 2007 and 2008 cars with the N47 series engine. I called one local dealer in Newcastle and they were vague on when they had the tool to check it and to be honest didn't seem the least bit interested. Even though I had just bought a brand new 335D from them last month. So much for customer service eh?

So I called Cooper up and they couldn't have been more helpful. My car is booked in for 3 weeks time at which they will keep the car for probably 3 days, provide courtesy car and give the car whatever it needs. Only thing they said was that any fluids lost that needed topping up would be charged at net cost, but the car needs a service within 1000 miles anyway so I'll probs just get the service done there. Service prices seem quite reasonable now on ageing BMW's.

SO there you go, if you have a 07/08 car with the N47 engine, call your local dealer and if you don't get the right answer, all the next one.

Oh and if my engine goes pop as a result of timing chain failure between now and it being booked, the lady at the dealer explained they would have to honour fixing it as it was already booked in.

To say I am pleased is an understatement. I think this is a good thing that BMW are doing, though many will argue it is too little too late. No mention of any recall / QE etc., on 09 plate onwards as far as I know.

Hope this helps some of you.

HI I NEED YOUR HELP I BOOKED MY CAR IN FOR THE QUALITY ENHANCEMENT FOR THE TIMING CHAIN, AND A DAY LATER IT SNAPPED. IM WORRIED THAT I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE COST OF REPLACING THE CHAIN AND ANY OTHER THINGS THAT THE CHAIN HAS DAMAGED. CURRENTLY THEY ARE GENERATING A CASE FOR MY CAR TO SEND TO HEAD BMW HOWEVER I BELIEVE THEY WILL ONLY PAY FOR PART OF THE REAPIR, AND I BELIEVE THEY SHOULD PAY FOR THE WHOLE THING, AS ITS THEIR FAULT THE TIMING CHAIN IS SO POORLY MADE.

PLEASE COULD YOU GET IN CONTACT WITH ME ASAP, AS YOU COULD SAVE ME THOUSANDS OF POUNDS WHICH I DONT HAVE AND BEING A 19 YEAR OLD UNI STUDENT :( MY EMAIL IS sami-686@hotmail.com

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links