Fault Codes

skyline

hi all new to the site i have the x5 30d 53 plate only had it a short while started having a few problems recently

so please bare with me as there are a few .

i had the turbo changed as the other failed but still getting black smoke on hard acceleration

keep having check brake lining on dash but all seem ok

also transfer fail safe on dash but this comes on then goes of at random

also just got it back from sytner bmw with a lot of fault codes if anyone could help me with

it would be very much apreciated

here goes

000002 RAD

000003 STH

00000B STH

00000D STH

000012 PDC

000016 PDC

000037 EGS

00007C LCM

00008D IKE

00008E LCM

000093 LCM

0000BD IKE

000100 DDE

001260 DDE

001613 DDE

001E30 DDE

003505 DDE

i know there are a lot me an wife getting very worried as we put our savings into this car we are begining to woner wether we made a big mistake your help would be very much aprecited

thanks

If you bought it from a garage then take it back and tell them to sort it, if you bought it private sale then oh dear. Start googling the fault codes. You must get the codes cleared then run it a few hundred miles and see which ones have come back, and as long as its black smoke under hard acceleration they all do it but not so as it blocks out the sun.

Steve

First I agree with Steve if you brought it from a Garage take it back and ask them to sort it.

However if you want to sort it or understand it yourself I will try and help with the codes,

000002 RAD This is a Radio code if the radio is working I would suspect a speaker fault somewhere not fatal to the car

000003 STH Auxillary Heating Control I don't have this again not fatal to the car

00000B STH As above

00000D STH As above

000012 PDC This is Park Distance Control probably one of the sensors in the bumper these are a Royal PITA on many X5's

000016 PDC As Above

000037 EGS Electronic Gearbox control this could be linked to one of the DDE faults but needs further investigation

00007C LCM Light Control Module if all exterior lamps light then it needs investigation suspect earth points maybe

00008D IKE This is Instrument cluster electronics could be anything from a duff earth to a bulb out not fatal to the car

00008E LCM As above

000093 LCM As above

0000BD IKE As above

000100 DDE These are all Diesel Engine Management related as I don't have a diesel I cant be much help

001260 DDE As above

001613 DDE As above

001E30 DDE As above

003505 DDE As above

You say you had the turbo changed, why? Again if the fault was there when you purchased it it should have been the responsibility of the selling garage.

Why did Synter have the car?

The turbo change could have triggered some of the engine fault codes and if there is an air leak contributing to them.

Sometimes the codes can be reset and wont return.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help very much appreciated I brought the car

Private the reason for a turbo change was due to smoke &

Lack of power when the turbo came of it was shot must admit

I took the car to bmw because of transmission fail safe 5

Looks like I've got my work cut out with the car again thank you for your

Time looking into this

OK, X5's are very sensitive to voltage changes/ battery condition if they are low it will throw all sorts of spurious warnings. If you are looking to sort it yourself buy a BMW 1.4.0 scanner about £15 to £20 on ebay it will let you see whats going on and give fault codes in English. Next I would get the battery checked, if its good make sure its fully charged if not or unsure replace it with a good quality battery. Don't sit with ignition on and engine off for long as these can flatten a battery in no time due to the amount of current all the systems take.

Each control unit retains codes so some of the codes you have may have been there for some time, even BMW often just clear the codes then drive the car to see what comes back.

With the DDE codes I would check the MAF and clean it EGR clean or replace it. Thermostats are a known issue when running is your needle dead centre?

The Webasto Aux Heaters can be a problem but are not really going to effect the main car so this and the radio and lights would be down the list to fix.

Good Luck

thank you couldnt tell you how much i appreciate all the time and effort you have put into helping me

i have looked at the scanners the one i have found is

bmw scanner 1.4.0 diagnostic interface code reader scan tool E38 e39 E46 E53 E83 is this the one ime looking for

again thanks

That's the one. I have mine on an old laptop running windows XP that I just keep for garage use now. You can run it on later Windows but will need to set up a Virtual Machine.

Once you are up and running read the codes Note them then clear them. Run the car and see what comes back, then work through them methodically.

As said I would start with the engine codes

Good luck

thank you i have ordered this now will be here next week

done some work i have changed all pads & rear discs as they looked worn

also i removed the egr valve this was badly gunked up cleaned it with carb cleaner & brush

the car seems a bit more responsive at the moment will see how it goes

i will plug the reader in when it comes and let you know how it goes

again thankyou for your help very much apprecited

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links