X5 Which One

maverp1

Hi I'm presently owner of 728 which I bought as a project but just have not found the time to complete and really need something on a daily bases with quite a large family and American Bulldog to accommodate I have been looking at the X5.I do not do a lot of miles a year work within 2 miles of where I live got a budget of about 7,500 and looking for a 2005 model due to tax on the V8's so which one you reccomend pro's and cons if possible

All input greatfully accepted

Paul

Hi

My first X5 was a 4.4 with LPG the reason for buying was we sold our Horse Transporter (not used enough) and brought a Horse trailer so needed a tow car. We also have dogs so space and towing capacity drove the choice plus V8 X5's are cheap (around 2k cheaper than a Diseasal), big bonus. When looking make sure absolutely everything works as it should, don't fall for any "simple fix" bull sh*t. In my opinion in everyday use there is little to choose between 4.4 (320bhp) and 4.8 (355bhp) both are comfortable and great mile munchers..Remember these are big heavy cars so suspension bushes are suspect at about 60k plus, but that is normal maintenance

When testing make sure you get to start the engine from cold, any rattles at start up walk away it will be expensive. Give it a good test drive and make sure the gearbox works smoothly in all modes, when you get back let the car idle for a time and then rev it any smoke from the exhaust could point to valve stem oil seals again expensive to fix. 4.8's have air suspension all round make sure it works as it should..With both I budgeted for a full service and oil changes for diffs transfer box and gearbox I also had wheel alignment checked.

Be picky and hold out for the right car and enjoy that V8 rumble, plus your neighbours will never think you came home in a taxi!!

hi

I don't know if youd be interested. I have for sale my 4.8is auto x5 for sale it has 88000 fullservice history 12 months mot and is a 2005.

have plenty of pictures on request if your interested. the car has every optional extra from new including playstation and tvs in the back

• 8 months later...

the tailgate on the 2005 X5 is high, my 7 year old german shepard struggles to end via rear, have to put rear seat down and enter rear space via rear door, not much good if covered in mud or wet.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links