E46 Rear Parking Sensors

So I finally picked up my new toy this evening and am mightily impressed. However, it seems the rear parking sensors don't work...

When I engage reverse (it's an automatic), there's a solid beep at first and then nothing. I tested it against a flat fence panel and there are no beeps as it approached (got to within a few inches and still nothing).

Is this an easy fix, assuming there's a fault? I'm guessing that the solid beep at the start means there's a fault somewhere in the system. Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes solid beep means malfunction, if you turn ignition

On but don't start it and stick it in reverse then put your ear to each of

The sensors u should hear a ticking noise from each of the sensors. If u can't then it's

Probably a faulty sensor, if that fails get it plugged in to a diagnostic machine and read.

I've replaced several sensors on e46s.

Hope that's some help

Na the sensors are cheap enough from main dealer, but u may have to spray them. on some models

They do a colour coded alternative or find some on eBay. U may have to drop the rear bumper but that's

Easy enough on those.

The sensors are in the plastic strip on the facelifted M-sport bumper, so hopefully no painting required.

On another note, was having a spare wheel an optional extra? Mine has a spare wheel well in the boot, but nothing there... I understand the space save for the 330i was a 17" when the rest of the range had a 16". Urban myth?

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links