Mass Air Flow Meter Replacement

Hi,

I have an E24, the chap at the garage said the air flow meter is turned up to the max and cannot give any more so a replacement needs to be sought. This results in it running a bit lumpy. An A.f.m. Isbetween 100 and 500 quid, the 100 is a second hand untested, so I'm reluctant to part with the funds.

I have acquired an E28 unit which comes from a trusted breakers, but they don't fit them themselves. There's loads of pictures of e24's on ebay and when you look close at the engine you can see the e28 unit which fits inverted. See attached.

Does any one have experience of fitting such a unit to the e24, how was it attached to prevent vibration, is it a s simple as merely reconnecting or is there an adjustment required, which obviously when fitted upside down is going to be difficult.

Any advice on fitting mass air flow units greatly appreciated.

Richard

post-6575-0-62779900-1409045460_thumb.jp

Hi Richard,

I remember supporting you with Gav a few years back regarding lumpy idle issues with your E24. I believe I adjusted your distributor at the milton keynes meet if you remember.

As for the MAF, as long as it have been taken from a 528i E28, the MAF will be identicle as they share the same engine (M30B28). IT should be a case of swapping it out and your good to go....

Daz

Hi Daz,

I certainly do remember, after you altered the dizzy I had the tapets all set and the engine tuned, but it always had the slight putting because the air was struggling through the air mass meter.

So when I invert the e28 unit will it simply be plugging in it and off I go, or will it need adjusting in someway, if so how?

Thanks

Can't adjust an electronic MAF so just plug it in and you'll be fine.

As I said, it's the same engine. I don't understand why you would need to change it's position it should be identical to the one you are replacing. Sit ontop of the rocker cover nicely.

Ok mate, thAts great about the adjustment.

It definitely fits inverted, did you see the picture I posted, basically if u go on ebay and search e24 and look at the engine shots nearly all have the conversion due to the expense of the e24 units.

I'll attempt it this weekend now I know about the adjustment and I'll let you know how I got on.

Thanks again for your help.

Also I cannot find the MEETS info on the website, I know others have asked this as well

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links