Auto Vs Manual Gearbox

I have always had manual cars including 4 BMW's but have seen a few used ones which are nice but have auto boxes. Anyone here had manuals and then switched to auto? Would you have another or do you prefer manuals. The smooth easy driving style sounds appealing but I also love holding onto gears and pushing up the rev range ( diesels ).

Any comments welcome

I have owned around 50 cars over the years, a few of which were auto's. This is my 1st BMW and it is an Auto, and I am so pleased with it. It is far better than any of the previous auto's I've had and I feel it suits the car better. Also with the Semi Auto mode you can still enjoy a bit of a more involved driving if you want.

Not having driven a manual BMW does mean I haven't a true comparison to make however.

i have a 530d E61 auto with the sport mode on the box, slip it into sport and it holds the revs longer and harder, i bet you'd be pushed to notice the difference between the 2 on a hard drive but for everyday use the auto is fab.

I have jumped to a non BMW manual to a automatic BMW and very much enjoying it so far, my 8 speed automatic is rather good at holding gears and I can take manual control if I wish and does hold on to gears a very long time (will upshift if you have kept it at certain revs for too long).

But not from my experience but rather what I have heard smaller powered cars say 200hp or less (might be higher than that) manual is the better choice (but depends on the automatic gearbox some are shocking, average or amazing)

I find automatic is miles better for cruising along and if your a big kid like me you will love shifting with paddles :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just purchased a 118D M Sport Auto after trading in my 320D Manual. The 8 speed box is fantastic. Eco, Comfort and Sport/Sport+ modes programme the gearbox differently. Manual control is also possible. Thoroughly recommend it.

My way of thinking:

Big heavy car with a big smooth engine: AUTO

Relatively light weight car with an engine smaller than 2ltr: MANUAL

My 7 series was Auto and I would of HATED for it to be Manual.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links