Condensation In Headlight

Guest DazH

Hey Gerard,

Yes, I have heard of this happening a lot. Often caused by bad seals around the unit it's self.

I've had a few motors in the past with evidence of someone curing it themselves. Opening the unit, dealing with the moisture and resealing it with putty/silicon is popular.

Behind the unit, where the bulb sits, there should be a rubber bung going over the opening, are yours present?

Daz

Guest jeffthro

Hi Gerard, yes, as Daz says, It'll be a failed seal. I've not had the problem with my 328, so can't be sure that its as straight forward as it was with my lovely old Primera GT, but I carefully ran around the joint of the headlight unit with a razor blade, separated glass lens from rest of unit, cleaned and dried everything, and then resealed with a thin bead of waterproof silicone sealer.Where possible, tape the joint in place for 24 hours until sealant secure and dry.

Hey Jeff / Daz,

Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

I am gonna have a look at it today to see what the possibilities are with the rubber bungs and seals, whether they are faulty or not.

Will keep you updated

Thanks again guys

• 6 months later...

If the seals are knackered is there a decent place to get a set of them?

Am I right in thinking theres two parts to the seals? These seem pretty expensive for what they are £23 for the bonnet seal and £27 for the lens seal, and thats per side. Can you get them any cheaper or is it just one of those expensive jobs? Probably be cheaper to buy a full set of used lights.

gasket1.jpggasket2.jpg

I recognise the banner around the images from a seller on ebay who i know have put parts up online you should NEVER buy second hand like, i've seen them sell used head bolts :huh: I was desperate once and asked them for a bearing cap (C shaped block of metal that covers a cam bearing) because I lost one when rebuilding. It's no bigger than a playing card and they wanted like 20 odd quid

Well if they claim it's new then i guess it's new.... if it's a good enough price and it's been varified by them that it is (no if buts or maybes) new then go for it fella

Daz

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links