Advice On Buying E90 320D M Sport - Discussion

Kali

Hello. I'm just registered and reason why Im creating this subject is to find out a little bit more about car Im willing to buy. Anyway, I'm Damian and Im 19 in November. Yes, quite young fella to think about the bimmer. Currently I own a Seat Leon 1.4 mk1 which was(is) quite expensive overall (insurance, the car, modifications, running it) After some research I found out that BMW E90 320d is actually very decent. The insurance will be only 200 quid a year more then my current leon and less then TDI engines from VAGs, Ive checked.

I stay in Scotland and I dont live in a city, but I do indeed travel a lot and this will increase within next year. Thats where the idea to get a diesel came. Checked few cars and as a automotive lover I checked cars with good MPG and good diesel power (Leon 1.9 tdi fr 150 bhp, Golf 1.9 tdi gt, Audi a4 1.9 tdi 130 bhp etc.) I drove E46 before and totally loved it, so came up with an idea to get the e90 2.0d. It seemed perfect with its MPG, horsepower and overall economy-performance. Doing a little research I found out that prefacelift model had turbo issues.

This discussion is to let me know a little bit more about this car. What are costs. What is the real MPG. How is the service of this car.What I can do myself. (I know a little bit about mechanic, and got few mechanic mates so its good moneywise where I can do as much myself or with help of mates) And anything I need to know about it.

Just to add - how does the e90 handle the modifications as I have some plans with it. Specifically I mean remap, exhaust system, anti roll bars etc.

Cheers,
Damian.

Hello! Just entering my 2nd month of owning a 320d M-Sport. Very impressed with virtually all aspects. Main niggles are the poor quality speakers they fit as standard and the job it is to replace them! Only other thing is the seatbelt mounting on the door pillar is static. If you are too short it rubs your neck. Handling? Great with the lo-pro tyres. Engine is flexible and has bags of oomph (I have 58 plate 177 bhp). Fuel bills? I think the careful driver will get 55mpg on long trips - boot it around country lanes and this falls off to mid-30s. Best bits? So quiet and refined - a real step up in refinement compared with my last car - an 11 plate Audi A3 2.0D. Servicing costs at BMW aren't too bad and having that BMW stamp in the book will add £100s to the resale price.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, I've had my 320d M sport now since last year, and I'm impressed with it. It's a 2009 LCi model with Start/Stop function and it drives like a dream, as the last post said on here, drive it sensible the your get 50-55 mpg, drive it hard and fast then your looking around the 30's mpg.

There good on long runs, comfortable and well equipped. Yes speakers do let it down, but there is a Tweeter modification you can get which involves replacing the inner door trim which houses the new tweeter. (I've not done it so not sure what the outcome is)

As for servicing them, well there pretty cheap enough, and if you know what your doing then even better. I've just done a complete Front and Back brake pad change including sensors for £80. Rear tyres do wear a bit as they would for a Rear wheel drive car. I managed to bag a pair of part worms with 5mm tread left for £60

You asked about modifications, all I did was stuck a K&N filer on mine and some diesel injector cleaner in the fuel tank and I really noticed the difference.

Mines now on 98k and I'm selling it to get a 5 series, but it's been one of the best/fun cars I've had in a long time. Good luck.

Thanks for advise! I spoke to a friend who just bought an E46 and he advices not to buy an M Sport version due to apparently very costy M Sport parts for maintaining the suspension in comparing to normal suspension. I did some research and from what I found out the suspension is different in the M Sport so would that increase the maintenance cost by that much?

What are those turbo issues that E90's 2.0 d are having?

Also what would be a sensible price for a e90 320d m sport with ~100k miles. Im wanting anything less then 100k.

Thanks,
Damian!

Depends where you get the parts from, suspension parts can be cheap if you look around. then again, best to check that out before buying an M Sport.....

Turbo issues seems to be on Pre LCI models (years 05-09) more than LCI's (year 09-12) from what ive read and it dont seem to matter what mileage they have done. Ive read some going at 40000 miles!!! so they can go at any mileage if not maintained properly, ie oil and breather filters not changed regularly, wrong grade of oil used, etc.Letting the engine tick over for a few mins before switching it off helps the oil seals too.

An e90 Pre LCi go for around £4k upwards with 100k on the clock. LCi's from 2009 go for around £8k upwards.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links