Smell Of Damp Dog?

guys. owned my E61 530d for over a year and still cannot rid the car of the small of damp dog. ok most of the time but as the sun warms the car up when parked as you get back in the smell of damp dog hits you until you open the windows and put the fans on. tried air fresheners and hoovered etc but still a faint odour remains. any of you have any tips on shifting the smell effectively i'd be grateful.

Guest jeffthro

As long as it isn't the aircon "infected", theres a tried and tested product used by the trade, which I unfortunately can't remember the name of. BUT its an aerosol "bomb" type thing which you put inside the cabin upright on the floor behind a front seat, set off, and close the door quickly. It rapidly mists up the whole cabin and is very, very strong indeed. In fact, they warn you that when you open the doors after the prescribed time, to not inhale the fumes! It is very, very effective. I had a Supra once that had been owned by a heavy smoker, and it cleared it completely. (Only minus, the car smelt of oranges for ever after!), haha!

I have just remembered, I think it was called a Fogger, and (I don't know why I remember this!), made by a car accessory company with an Irish sounding name? Maybe Murphy?

Guest jeffthro

Yeah,to be honest its not so much the air con, its if the "normal" ventilation system has been run on recyled air rather than fresh.

In fact, thats something that has always been one of lifes mysteries to me. You need some ventilation in the cabin so you turn the switch to "reuse" old air. why would anyone do that? :(

A new pollen/cabin filter and one of these:

$(KGrHqJ,!roFBBvR5-LBBQf8Ge0bn!~~60_1.JP

Should sort that smell out bud. Also may need to wet-vac the interior with one of these:

karcher-puzzi-100-carpet-cleaner-240-vol

Hire one from HSS Hire :)

Daz

thanks guys. I have had the pollen filters and air con done to be sure it wasn't that. the smell only builds up when the car is parked up so is definitely the damp dog residue from the carpets. will need to vax out and try the bomb idea. thanks

Guest jeffthro

Yeah, reference the photo Daz posted, if I remember correctly (Unless I'm very much mistaken..........Murray Walker, lol), the instructions said try not to locate below plastic dash panels, etc, as the spray can stain. I think. Maybe. possibly. And try to get a "flavour" you like. Orange got a bit trying after a while. Marmite would be nice. Or Pork Scratching. :D

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links