Bmw 318 2003 Coolant Leak

BrettsBeemer

Hi I have a leak somewhere on my 318, but have struggled to locate it. The oil and coolant warining lights have been intermitant.

there is a little oil / water mix in the dip stick, but it is a very small amount so im hoping there is no lasting damage to the head, even if it does need a new valve gasket. It hasn't over heated

I lost a load of water coolant after complelty filling it up within about 20 miles and it seems to be dripping from underneath. It can't all be mixing with the oil otherwise id imagine there would be more than what is shown in the photograph on the dip stick

I have attached 2 photos, one of the contamination on the dip stick and one from the area that seems to be wet enough for the leak to be in the facinity.

Could someone advise if they think I need to replace the valve gasket and whether or not the 2nd photo shows anything that might be common causes of water leaks ?

Thanks

Brett

post-8481-0-04164500-1397903976_thumb.jp

post-8481-0-30787700-1397904045_thumb.jp

It could the expansion tank seeping or a pin holed rad ( mine was a pin hole in the rad ) and the contamination on the dipstick

looks the same as yours, i don't worry about as the car drives perfectly.

Thanks I just spoke to a mobile mechanic on the phone as well and he thinks because I do lots of short journeys that it it's is just condensation in the dipstick from heating up and cooling down. I will keep and eye on it.

No problem, it may not be one of bmw's better engines but the four lump in my compact has been fine, after sorting

a few minor niggles, if it has'nt already been done, changing the cam chain tensioner is worth doing it's a cheap and

easy preventative measure.

Wow what crap advice!! You are choosing to ignore two warning lights (coolant level and oil level or oil pressure dependant whether the light is amber or red?) and that it looses coolant in and around 20 miles, if you take Dennis advice then you deserve all that will happen!

The least you can do is have the coolant system pressure tested, if it turns out to be a quids worth of hose clip or rubbed through hose pipe it really is worth doing, if all turns out well then change the oil and filter its disgusting.

Regards

Stephen

The coolant hasn't leaked out over night. I def have a coolant leak somewhere and need a oil top up. I'm booking it in to be pressure tested on Tuesday. I have a number for a mobile mechanic who comes to my work.

Thanks

Brett

Wow what crap advice!! You are choosing to ignore two warning lights (coolant level and oil level or oil pressure dependant whether the light is amber or red?) and that it looses coolant in and around 20 miles, if you take Dennis advice then you deserve all that will happen!

The least you can do is have the coolant system pressure tested, if it turns out to be a quids worth of hose clip or rubbed through hose pipe it really is worth doing, if all turns out well then change the oil and filter its disgusting.

Regards

Stephen

I did'nt mention nothing about ignoring warning lights, i used to be a car mechanic so wtf you on about ?

I did'nt mention anything about ignoring warning lights, i used to be a car mechanic so ignoring warning lights is the last is the last thing i would do :angry:

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links