1998 523 Keeps Unlocking Itself When I Lock It

Lfmullin

Had this car today, one of the issues is when you use the fob to lock it it unlocks right away.

If you lock it with the key the same thing happens.

I have to manually lock all the doors which I hate doing as it won't activate the alarm.

I was told that the key kept turning and turning in the barrel so the previous owner took the switch off the back to bypass the barrel and started it with the key directly into the switch and turning.

I managed to fix the barrel, so I thought, but now the key itself is stuck in the barrel and won't come out, but I can start it with the key now. But the car was locking perfectly fine with this problem prior, however since the key got stuck this locking problem has begun.

Are they both related?

Any help will be much appreciated :)

Guest jeffthro

The only thing that springs to mind, Lee, is a faulty door sensor. Reason being that if the car thinks that a door, or the boot, is not shut properly then it will not allow the central locking to activate. I must admit I don't like the sound of the other issues that you seem to have though.

The barrel is an easy fix I hope just the spring won't spring the key back out.

I had another look just and when I turn the car off and lock it while say in it it stays locked. If I open the any door and shut it and lock it it unlocks again. If I lock it when turning the ignition off and it stays locked, I I unlock and lock again it stays locked. It seems to happen whenever a door opens and closes again for some reason, a very odd problem this :/

Sorted it :) they key was stuck because it's automatic the park function wasn't fully engaging so wouldnt release the key. Took the gearbox trim off and found, for some very strange reason a C sized battery under the gear lever mechanism. Removed it and key came straight out, now the ignition I s fully working and so is the locking :)

Guest jeffthro

Its really bizarre some of the things previous owners do, isn't it, and for what reason? I recently found 3 or 4 dashboard bulbs had been removed - including the all important engine management light - and replaced with tiny blobs of blue tac! Garage removed said tacky stuff, replaced bulbs, did a full diagnostic reset, and there have been no problems whatsoever reappear! Plus I thought I had a sticking open thermostat, and since reset coolant temp and heater output have been perfect! :)

Pleased you're sorted anyway, Lee, super-cheap fix and a free torch battery too!

It is buzzard what some people do and why, it's far easier in the long run to fix a problem there and then. I still need a new ignition barrel as I've wrecked mine almost but at least I know a new one will work as it should now.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links