E92 Window Problem - First Time Poster (Hi Everyone)

nrw304

Hello all,

After doing some lurking I thought I've decided to say hi, and ask for help with a niggling issue. BMW E92 330i SE - first RWD car, thrilled to bits with it. But....

...at speeds of 60mph+ it sounds as if a gale is blowing in through the driver's side window where it seals at the top. Px side is fine.

I noticed that the driver's side window doesn't raise quite as far as the px side window...probably 2-3mm less...and hence isn't locating mechanically and sealing firmly under the chrome strip at the top of the door. In the fully down position, the window is again 3-4mm lower than the px side. Hence, at a critical speed of about 60mph, the rear top edge of the window gets 'sucked' outwards by the airflow, and voila, a force 9 gale in my right ear.

Is there any way to adjust this height setting? I keep seeing posts about duff regulators, but I'm not sure that's the problem...there's a little more play in the driver's side window than the other side, but not so much to suggest the regulator needs replacing.

To clarify - the door open/close window drop/raise function has always worked...it still drops by 1/4" or so when you open the door, and raises again when you close it. Hence the window seal reset procedure (down, hold for 5s, up, hold for 5s) didn't help when I tried it. It just seems that it's in too low a position to start with, so is not wedging itself under the chrome strip against the top seal even when it is fully raised. It's like the whole window assembly needs to come up by a few mm.

I've done some other digging around forums, which lead me to check the lateral alignment via the preload setting ( http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701279 ) - all looks fine and well aligned though. Door alignment is spot on too.

Would really appreciate any thoughts and advice on this!

Many thanks,

Neil

If you take the door card off and have a look at the rail that the window sits on... from what I see on mine there is two points where the window fastens to the rail, maybe there is an adjuster on the window motor or on the rail somewhere just a thought...

Guest Mr.Beemer

hello & welcome to the forum -

its worth opening the door card & having a look but sounds like you need a window/motor mechanism on the driver side.

check the window mechanism sliders, which over time tend to open/wear out & can cause play on the window itself.

you cant adjust the window mechanism on this model & it runs through a cable which also over time stretches.

see what you find, get back to us - :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Neil,

I bought my first E92 a few weeks ago in London and drove it back to Ireland. On the motorway I noticed a similar wind noise at higher speeds, but only on one side, the passenger side. When I got home, I compared both sides and on the side with the problem, I could see the clips for the shadow line trim and could not see them on the driver side. The window was not closing the same as the driver side too. It looked to me like the trim was pulled off at some stage and when put back on the rubber seal was put into the clips. It was a simple enough job to put it right. This may not be your problem but to check, you should not be able to to see the clips holding the trim on . The rubber seal should cover them.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links