Mpg Keeps Dropping

Jam

Hi guys I've recently bought a E60 535d its only got 80k on the clock so its not been around the world..when I purchased it off a friend mpg was stating around 27mpg, which is normal around town driving. But this driving it around town to and from work no more than 3 miles commute and the occasional 15 min commute on dual carriage way, I've noticed it just keeps dropping. Its currently at 23 mpg and thats conservative driving. Iv read other members getting near 30..i do like to put my put down and use the power once a week but it shouldnt be that bad should it?

Sny suggestions....cheers lads

Depends when it was reset to be fair. You stated you only bought it recently so for an average to become stable, time is needed.

Also, it does take time to get used to a car. I buy and sell cars regularly so I can see the difference in MPG from when I first start driving the car, then after a month or so. Driving habits like controlling the clutch and pressure applied to the accelerator make quite a large difference when the MPG is concerned. If it's manual, it will take a while for you to get to know your engine and FEEL the revs before you change gear

Reset it and bare with it :)

Also... SERVICE HISTORY!? :lol: Tells us about that

Daz

Thnks Das

Had it serviced month ago..everything came out clean..originally was bought of a auction, need to ring bmw to chase the history...its auto..will reset it.

Ive heard if the car doesn't warm up properly it can have an effect...

Although you say its just been serviced its best to check the air filter for yourself as it wouldn't put much faith it them changing it, also check the egr to see if it needs a good clean and get the fault codes checked for peace of mind as a faulty thermostat will reduce mpg.

Thanks mate, maybe i will have to get the egr checked make sure its not clogged up and give it a good clean..will check the air filter over the weekend. Im not going crazy tho hahaahaa it shouldnt be this bad right?

I know its winter but i always give 5 - 10 mins regardless of weather to warm the engine up before setting off and cool it down it...i spoke to someone in the car wash who had 525i and he was achieving 3mpg...inwas like WTF LOOL and he told me it was local driving...best i had not heard that....

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links