Suspension Springs

redbandit

Hi all

just started on here so please bear with my ignorance and possible oversight in forum protocols.

Really wanted to join as I had a hairy experiance the other day and felt the need to report it on here as I have already been given the runaround by BMW Customer services.

Whilst travelling along a stretch of a bedford bypass I heard a loud bang and felt steering go. I pulled into a layby and could not find anything wrong until my tyre started to deflate before my eyes. On inspection from GreenFlag (dunno if I'm allowed to advertise on here soz) the kind gent showed me that the offside drivers side suspension spring had failed and pierced my tyre. He added that I was a very lucky chappy that I hadn't strayed into the path of oncoming vehicles. I was towed to my local garage and repairs are underway. I feel the need to post this as I was under the impression that BMW did not want to know anymore about what had happened. I would just like to know whether I have good cause to ask BMW in admitting some liability with regards to the failing part or at least post a recall pending investigations. Has anyone else had the same misfortune of having suffered similiar incident and subsequent non compliance by BMW?

Guest Mister Dabsy

BMW will only accept liability within a certain timescale... 3 years from date of manufacture is the norm for such items, then its your problem (MOT for example) !

No, not 1st owner. Had car for only one year. Mechanic states he has seen this before with series one models and in his opinion the metal BMW use for the springs is of inferior quality. Is is about time BMW take ownership of problem before someone dies.

No, not 1st owner. Had car for only one year. Mechanic states he has seen this before with series one models and in his opinion the metal BMW use for the springs is of inferior quality. Is is about time BMW take ownership of problem before someone dies.

BMW should have to do no such thing. The previous owner most likely drove it like he stole it

"Mechanic states he has seen this before with series one models and in his opinion the metal BMW use for the springs is of inferior quality" - I doubt very much your greasemonkey has the correct academic background to be able to publicly comment on the molecular structure of the metal used by one of the largest/best car manufactures in the world

You can't purchase a second hand motor (5/6 years old) and have this mentality

Purchase new springs and fit them

Daz

"You can't purchase a second hand motor (5/6 years old) and have this mentality

Purchase new springs and fit them"

Well thank you DAZ for your expert opinoin. I'll jogg off and do exactly what you say shall I. And tell me just how expert you happen to be. I don't share your derogatory "mentality" jibe. I almost had a nasty experiance. And was only posting on here for the first time for assistance not to be bad mouthed by some jumped up administrator or whatever the flying !Removed! you are. So at the risk of bieng thrown off here before I even start...thankyou so much for making my mind up about such forums you fine person, you!

(Edited profanities by JD)

Guest Mister Dabsy

Thanks for your kind words Steve :o ...

Daz merely commented about if the mechanic was an expert in the strength of the metal used then he'd be on a higher income by becoming a scientist !

As for the personal rant towards a fellow member, an apology would be welcomed before I zap your ass ;)

You are on the BMW Owners Club forums. We are BMW Enthusiasts. If you have a problem with BMW, no one on here is going to jump on your wagon. Basically, by talking to us you are talking to BMW through their followers.

"I'll jogg off and do exactly what you say shall I" - Sounds wise. I would. Top advice.

Try stay away from Ebay springs. By the sound of things, if you managed to snap BMW ones, you'll go through those in 2 minutes (Ha! no seriously. OEM all day long)

Best of luck,

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

You guys missed his choice of language before I "corrected" his grammar !

Alas, RedBandit is no more... Maybe he'll return in a different 'guise and choose his words wisely next time...

Extreme profanity cannot be accepted, simples :P :D

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links