Crank Position Sensor

autoquip

Hi guys,

Hoping i can get some help here,

I am restoring an 84 635csi and it won't start, the car has just came back from the paint shop, it was running when it went in but won't start now.

Started checking it out today and i have noticed that the crank sensor at the pulley is not plugged in!

my problem is that i can't find where it plugs into and the other thing is there is no plug on the end just 2 wires (black and yellow i think).

i'm wondering if someone could post a picture of where this plugs into, to at least give me some idea of where to start looking.

Thanks

Guest Mister Dabsy

Have you reconnected it? Seems like it wouldn't start in the paintshop and they tried to "delete" the CPS to start it (dicks)...

You'll need a multimeter to check impedance across wires 1& 2 (check in service manual what the value should be).

Sometimes simply cleaning and refitting cures it !!

Hi jack, thanks for the reply. I'll try not to bore you with my story, keep it short as i can.

car comes back from the paintshop, won't start, no spark, checked all the usual suspects, coil and relays etc etc,

searched the net, found how to test the reference sensor and the speed sensor, both checked out o.k.

called bodyshop, he then tells me the car sat outside for a few weeks because he had no space (now he tells me).

removed ecu from under the steering column, FULL of water!!! made a few phone calls to company's who deal with ecu's. mega money!

removed cover, put in airing cupboard overnight, fitted to car today and it fired up!! only on 3 or 4 cylinders.

removed plugs and all were wet with fuel, so dryed them out, gave them a quick scrub with a wire brush refitted them and it's running like a dream!

it's in my garage now, it'll be kept dry until i get the sunroof drains cleaned out and i think i'll put a new windscreen in it.

thanks again for your help, i'm off to get a lottery ticket lol.

Davie

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links