Shell V Power

ive heard loads of talk about it being better and not,but ive never heard any concrete research,so i tried a little experiment myself.if you put some shell v power in a saucer and some supermarket fuel in a saucer let it evaporate then feel each one with your finger you will feel the difference,dont know what it means but the v power feels better to me.

Since having my car remapped I ONLY use 99 octane fuel as it works better with my set up,so thats either Tesco Momentum99 or Shell V-Power !!

It works for me but may not work for everybody :)

A higher octane fuel won't do much to increase performance on a naturally aspirated car however it does make a small difference.

Also im led to believe that the higher the octane rating the cleaner the petrol burns so it results in less deposits building up in the engine so your engine peforms as it should do.

A few years ago, when I went back to Poland for over two weeks, I rented a car and decided to test my dad's theory on these different "premium" fuels. I did about 2.5k miles over the course of 16 days and "tested" 4 different fuels (full tank each, filling from almost empty) on petrol engine (then brand new, 2009 Yaris 1.33 VVT-i ~ 102 bhp):

• Basic cheap fuel that was pre filled when I picked up the car: !Removed! as ever, compared to what I put in later.
  • Orlen Verva: this is a flagship Polish uprated fuel, with some nice additives. It performed oh so much better than stock stuff, had more response, smoother revving.
  • BP Ultimate: very renown for its cleaning properties. Not much different to Verva, didn't feel the difference to be honest.
  • Shell V-Power Racing (we used to have this in Poland, like a more punchy version of V-Power): this was really noticeable difference. The small 1.33 VVT-i really liked it and was more keen to rev higher with a nicer noise and much better response to pushing it.

Now, from what I'm told by a chemist, the octane content is pretty much the same on all premium fuels (differences being measured in 0.1—0.2 of octane), and the only real point to them are additives which all have different purposes, mostly adding cleaning properties by making sure the fuel burns thoroughly, without leaving nasty carbon-based residues around engine components, such as injectors, etc.

Now, I'm not an expert (just assembling common sense with widely available knowledge), so I might be wrong, but I see the point in running premium fuel on my BMW. I don't need any standalone additives, etc. Just keeping the engine safe and clean from the inside by using better quality fuel.

Obviously, those cleaning properties need time to start working, so a few fill-ups are required to feel the difference on an older vehicle. What are your thoughts on this guys?

A few years ago, when I went back to Poland for over two weeks, I rented a car and decided to test my dad's theory on these different "premium" fuels. I did about 2.5k miles over the course of 16 days and "tested" 4 different fuels (full tank each, filling from almost empty) on petrol engine (then brand new, 2009 Yaris 1.33 VVT-i ~ 102 bhp):

• Basic cheap fuel that was pre filled when I picked up the car: !Removed! as ever, compared to what I put in later.
  • Orlen Verva: this is a flagship Polish uprated fuel, with some nice additives. It performed oh so much better than stock stuff, had more response, smoother revving.
  • BP Ultimate: very renown for its cleaning properties. Not much different to Verva, didn't feel the difference to be honest.
  • Shell V-Power Racing (we used to have this in Poland, like a more punchy version of V-Power): this was really noticeable difference. The small 1.33 VVT-i really liked it and was more keen to rev higher with a nicer noise and much better response to pushing it.
Now, from what I'm told by a chemist, the octane content is pretty much the same on all premium fuels (differences being measured in 0.1—0.2 of octane), and the only real point to them are additives which all have different purposes, mostly adding cleaning properties by making sure the fuel burns thoroughly, without leaving nasty carbon-based residues around engine components, such as injectors, etc.

Now, I'm not an expert (just assembling common sense with widely available knowledge), so I might be wrong, but I see the point in running premium fuel on my BMW. I don't need any standalone additives, etc. Just keeping the engine safe and clean from the inside by using better quality fuel.

Obviously, those cleaning properties need time to start working, so a few fill-ups are required to feel the difference on an older vehicle. What are your thoughts on this guys?

There was a test carried out about 10 years ago by one of the big car magazines and they inspected the heads and valve assembly of 2 cars (1 was a Civic Type R) and after 1500 miles on the higher octane fuel they re-inspected to find the engine a lot cleaner and a lot of the carbon deposits were gone.

They also tested the cars 0-62, 0-100mph and in gear times before using the fuel and after the 1500 miles on the premium to find that the cars peformed better on the higher octance fuel.

A bit of perhaps useless info, my previous car E91 M Sport 353i the BMW handbook recommended running on Ron 98 I ran it on Shell Fuel Save Ron 95 and to honest could not notice any difference but the car I have now F11 535i same engine BMW recommend using Ron 95 but the engine test results listed in the handbook are based on Ron 98 so how's that for a bit of useless info.

I guess a lot depends on the engine a few years ago I ran a Volvo V7 2.5 petrol now SHELL V POWER was really noticeable on acceleration in particular, as it was a company car I didn't have put my hand in my pocket for the extra cost, happy days.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links