Back With Bmw But Did I Make The Right Choice?

AntHinteriors

Hi,

New to this site and back with a BMW after a few years trying the alternative. Friend was selling what looked like a mint 528i E39, which in all honesty is one of the cleanest i've ever seen. But ever since I've had it it's been a nightmare!

Although nothing to do with the car it's been hit twice, the frozen lock which means the doors won't shut. Went into Limp mode a couple of times but that seems to have fixed itself.

Started to overheat due to a crack in the radiator-now fixed. Washer motor went-now fixed

It then started to stall until it wouldn't fire at all. So after talking with a friend he advised the cam sensor. That was fitted and it was OK.

But now it is happening again, which it did today at 60mph and then refused to start at all. After a few minutes it fired up, happened another 5 times until I got it home. It also when warm makes a rather strange sound-like it's breathing alot deeper and much deeper sound.

So it's now still stalling and wonder if I made the right choice buying it!

Please prove me wrong with the golden answer to the problem! :-)

Cheers

Anthony

Well I'm no expert and there are people on here with more knowledge of BM's but its failing ignition wise or fuelling wise, if it was a Ford I would be of more help. I've had similar problems on Fords with ICV's and vacuum leaks, MAF issues or similar with regards pre ignition sensors. Is it definitely firing consistently on all cylinders? I've had experience of coil pack failure or arcing when the casings crack. To be fair a proper diagnostic sounds like its needed.

I recently purchased an E46 with low miles and full history, however I've so far replaced rear springs, front wishbones and bushes and other items to tedious to list, in short your not alone :)

As a footnote, the most reliable car I ever owned was a Honda, this hype about German engineering isn't quite as it appears.

Hi, thanks for the replies. Engine is sweet as a nut, cleaned the MAFF so I think it maybe a diagnostic required. Am sure someone will have had the same problem, oh and the most reliable car I've had is an LS400 but to be honest the BMW is so much better to drive. Especially on the limit!

Ant :D

Lol, yes when the BM is driving sweet its definitely a nice place to be, that's the sacrifice we make :) Lexus are reliable for sure, there's the Jap connection again. I think the main issue with the Bimmers is the fact some owners neglect routine maintenance of wear and tear items thinking they are bulletproof which they obviously are not. My last inspection 2 service at BMW failed to pick up a cracked coil spring on the rear which is a common issue, epic fail.

Ford produce some of the best front drivers and BMW cater in the main for rear drive action, that's the best part followed by good fit and finish in the cabin. I may moan a little but on the lookout for a nice M3 so I don't dislike them that much :)

Guest Mister Dabsy

Get some codes for us to look at :)

You say you've cleaned the Maf... Clean the Throttle-Body and flush the Breather-Pipes.

Is there any other symptoms? Cam-sensor?... Bet it throws a code for the Crank-Sensor too ;)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links