E30 318I Exhaust Assembly Bend Angles Etc.

Jayzzle

If your ganna do the zaust yourself, knock it out in a single day by dropping the existing system and using it as a template/reference to the new pipes?

I think... that's what I'm ganna end up doing IF I decide to fit it myself.

You see, I might trailer her to PowerFlow and get them to just... do it

Yeah that's not a bad idea tbh, but I'm not really sure if the one that's on there is right? Because the previous owner took the Cat or Middle Box off (I'm not sure if the car had a Cat or not, some said it did and some said it didn't :P) and there are lots of bits of pipe welded together by the looks of it, so I don't know if it is the correct shape if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. Alot of people on here have said your car DID have a cat but, IMO.... it didn't

IF you drop the existing one, it will give you a basic shape and that's all you need. Aslong as the one that is on is not VERY OBVIOUSLY wrong, you'll be fine.

It's just a long metal tube at the end of the day, never be frightened off by it's complexity as, it isn't complicated.

Daz

Well I have had it all off, when I put a middle box on it, (which I put in the wrong place I think but it was the only place I could put it xD) and it seems to look more or less the same as some of the aftermarket systems I have looked at. And like you say, it's just a metal tube :) Hopefully I can take it from the bottom of the downpipe and from there I guess it's just trial and error. Thanks for your help mate, I think when I get the money I will have a go at making it myself, you have given me confidence :)

I didn't check the manifold today no but I was under there the other day fitting new engine mounts and didn't see any signs of one.

Yeah most likely have no sensors/cat. Literally, just a tube. Easy stuff mate. Go for it.

Daz

I think the hardest angle to get right is the downpipe-flange to manifold... The rest you can "tack" as you go !

I'm not sure how I would get that right tbh, because, the downpipe is 2 seperate pipes that join onto 1 pipe, so I don't know if I would just leave that bit as it is, and start from just after the join, or to redo the whole exhaust into a single piece from the manifold/downpipe bit you mentioned. Or I could just go overboard and try to make the whole thing from scratch including the manifold :S But I think I'm biting off more than I can chew here lol.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Do you have the right metal to build a four-branch? That would be awesome ;)

If you've got the gear and materials then give it a go mate, there'll be a few issues on the way but just think of the outcome/final result! I'm bloody certain some other members would want you to make a bespoke system for them too :)

I don't have any materials at the minute, I'm just planning right now tbh, what with all the other problems it has atm it will be lucky if I can manage to scrape it through the MoT. But either way I'm pretty sure I'll end up doing 95% of the exhaust myself. I'd really like to get like a dual exit going, one on either side of the car, I have a nice oval that looked amazing when I was sizing it up, and i think one of those either side would look incredible. But I couldn't get it to fit with the exhaust that's on the car and I have to get it ready for the next few days as it's due for its test now.

I have some ideas of what to do with it if it fails, but I'm hoping it doesn't as it's a really nice car as it is. When I get round to doing proper work on it instead of just messing around with it like I am just now, I'd like to document it and detail how I'm doing it all, is there a place on this forum for me to do that?

Yeah, I was just looking into your idea of fabricating a 4 branch, checking out some pictures online and it doesnt really look any more harder than the rest of it so, I'm in the middle of making a pipe bender so I think I'll have a go at the 4 branch too.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links