Replacing Run Flat Tires

I am ready to replace my tires. I would like to know if there are any problems with removing the RFT and using regular radials on the same rims. Also, any recommendations for tires ?

Thx

Alan

Hi Alan I asked the same question some time ago not a lot of feed back. So I bit the bullet and changed mine it was on a F10 525d and am delighted with the softer ride and obvious cost mine were about £850 for all 4 wanted to do 2 at a time starting with the fronts but told un wise as it will upset the steering geometry with R.F.T.s on the rear so I was committed. Continentals were my only option because of there size. I was told they were Jaguar size and fit. I was bombarded with horror stores about informing my insurance company but the man in MOMBI he said why are you telling me this!!!! well if they are the right size and specification all will be well saab LOL. Only down side is with there softer tyre walls, it feel a little rolley when cornering under good strain, know what I meen!!!!! Hope my tale is of some use Regards chippy

• Like 1

Modern run-flats are a very good fit. In fact, last month I've replaced what I had been given by the dealer (non-RFTs) on front wheels, by a brand new set of Dunlop SP01 ROF.

The result? More feedback, MUCH better grip, less understeer (due to better traction) and the ride is much quieter now (those tyres have noise rating of 68db, so they are quieter than most).

I have an M Sport suspension, so I thought that it now will be even harder (due to RFTs having reinforced sidewalls and all), but the ride is actually the same, I can't feel any difference in anything else other than large potholes or manholes, or low kerbs.

BMW have specifically designed their suspensions to run RFTs, so I'd stick with them, but choose your tyres carefully nonetheless. IMO, RFTs are much safer to run, unless you use your car for racing.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links