Newbie Looking Some Advice, Please.

TomBoyNI

First off, hi!

Now down to the nitty gritty. Basically I am not a bmw owner as yet, however that may well change on Monday. I am going to have a spin in and potentially purchase a 2006 118d Sport.

However I am clueless! And hopefully some of you guys will be able to help me out.

The car has 74,000 miles on it, is 2006, MOT'd until July.

The advert for the car can be seen here :

http://www.usedcarsni.com/89942858

Bodywork and interior is great!

I'm just looking some expert opinions on it basically.

Should I be worried about the mileage I have heard at 80,000 turbos start to go and cost around £3000 to fix.

What sort of engine is it, I have heard I want an M47 as opposed to an N47 due to timing chain / crank issues.

However that's the main problem, these things I have heard are from wannabe mechanics and the like, I would like to hear from some experienced owners and am happy to take any advice in relation to the motor.

I will be getting rid of a Prodrive Subaru Impreza and a Smart Fortwo to get this yoke so it needs to be a good one.

The reason I am changing is because my Scooby has become an ornament and the Smart was the economical arm of the Scooby, if it goes then the Smart would be going to and I only need one car, I have a bike for my speed fix so that's all good too.

Any and all advice gratefully received!

Tommy

Hi

This car was not built to produce 150 bhp, nor is it topaz metallic. The wheels are not the standard sport wheels but SE wheels which were a factory option (not a very popular one !).

Shop around as there are loads to chose from.

I wouldn't worry to much about the can chain, more the tensioner and that if its been changed a genuine part has been used as non genuine can do more harm than good.

I have an 06 120d msport and after 76k no mechanical probs . The clutch is still good and the front brake pads lasted 60k which I didnt think was too bad. It still drives very nice and only on my 4th set of tyres. Hope you enjoy yours Tom but I do recommend a 120 as the later ones produced roughly 177BHP which is plenty fast enough in the real world. Now looking forward to a 125d which s h o u l d be here week ending 21st Dec so the dealer is telling me. could of had a 3 series but just love the 1 series !!! - wouldnt recommend my one to you as its had a hard life and yet, as said above, all seems good, had it since new but it's time for it to go hence the 125d on the way. Just joined this site and put my car down as the 125 - as you do :)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links