Oil Change On 320D 2008

77hill

I would welcome some practical advice please! I am thinking of changing the oil on my 2008 320d saloon. The oil filter is not easily visible so I wonder if I need to remove the cover from under the engine perhaps or can I get at it from the top? Is it feasible to do this with the car up on stands? Looking on line I see two different sizes of Hengst filter offered for the E90 engine - how do I find the correct size and is there a better filter? Finally what oil is recommended - I have seen Carlube Triple R 5w 30 fully synthetic advertised but wonder if there is a better alternative?

I hope someone will take pity on me and help with some of my questions please.

Thanks

You need to remove the top cover. This just clips off if your car has an N47 engine. There are 2 bolts holding it on the M47T2 engine. I did my own about a year ago with the help of a haynes manual. Its a good idea to get one of these, especially if you dont have alot of experience of car maintenance.

You will see the oil Filter cover on the Right side, the top is shaped like a large nut so it can be removed easily with a spanner, you dont need one of those awkward chain tools. Jack the car up and use axle stands to get to the sump plug.

My engine is N47, I used Mahle/Knecht Filter OX361/4D.I dont know if these are the best type, It cost €18 so presumably its good enough. The N47 engine has to have oil specified as BMW Long Life 04 as it has a particulate filter.

I used castrol edge 0W 40. Expensive stuff (€100 for 8L car takes 5.5L) but what can you do. Next time, I'll leave the level slightly low on the dipstick as I found that after adding oil to where it was at the max level caused the instrument panel oil level indicator to read above max level the next day. checking the dipstick again the oil did seem to be slightly above max

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links